CHAPTER 3

"And then she stuck the end of her brush covered in paint up his nose. It was so cool."

I was blinking at my son's enthusiastic recollection of one of his and Katya's adventures at school. I glanced at Emmett who had tilted his head at his daughter.

"Is this true?"

Katya glared then at Duncan and that was the first time I've ever seen her make a face then she sighed.

"I'm sorry, dad." She said it so simply and avoided his gaze. "He was a bully, and I got mad."

"What did we say about acting on anger." Katya pouted then, her plump pink lips jutting out and her blonde hair back in a bun, I felt my heart melt at the act all together.

"One moment of anger can be more harmful than a single moment of patience."

"Violence only brings more violence. I trust you to do better."

I looked at Duncan who frowned and then glared at Emmet before mournfully eating his food, which was amazing.

"Did you hear that Duncan? No fighting in school."

"Whatever." He grumbled and I chuckled petting his hair before looking at Emmett who raised a brow at me and flushed.

"I think you scolded them enough for the both of us." I murmured helplessly and he went back to eating.

The mood was somber until Duncan accidentally blew milk from his nose. I gasped.

"What were you doing?" I grabbed my table cloth to clean him up and he just started laughing. "Dude!" I laughed at him then as he looked up at me allowing me to clean him.

"My nose hurts."

"I'm not surprised. Did you see yourself." I laughed again and looked back at Emmett and Katya who were watching us. I could see the amusement in Katya's gaze. Duncan began talking again about what he was thinking which probably lead to all his functions malfunctioning.

Emmett listened, giving a hint of a smile here and there.

"So, Emmett, what do you do?"

"I'm a doctor, you." He stated plainly and I grinned, so my mates a smart one.

"Oh, this and that," I muttered suddenly embarrassed and I looked up to ask him a follow up when I caught his questioning gaze. "I'm a secretary for that company just outside of town, then on my free weekends I do small odd jobs."

"That sounds like you barely have free time."

"Oh, you know, I do what I can really." I looked at Duncan fondly. "Raising three boys and myself," I chuckled, "takes a lot more effort I'm afraid."

He nodded, "You enjoy it though. It doesn't seem like you're exhausted."

"Today's been a good day then." I told him openly and chuckled. He tilted his head, some of his neatly combed hair slipping into his face but he didn't remove it and I swear I felt my member stir at the sight.

I cleared my throat. "So, medicine, do you enjoy it?"

"Yes."

"What inspired the direction?"

"My grandmother nearly died in front of me." I blinked feeling frozen and noticed that Duncan had gone quiet. I glanced at my son who stared at Emmett openly. The silence seemed to probe him to explain a bit more. "I was 13 at the time and she was watching me while my parents were at work. She had a heart attack, I didn't know what to do and called for help. Watching the paramedics work I decided I wanted to do what they did, the older I got the more I discovered around the medical world and decided I'd do it."

"Oh wow." I breathed. "I'm sorry you had to see that."

"We all witness pain at one point or another, some for the better."

I nodded along to him.

"Dad, I think I'm gonna be a doctor too."

I looked over at my son flabbergasted. "And what brought you that conclusion."

"Just cause." I laughed then and shook my head.

"Well, whatever you want baby, but remember, you're gonna need top grades which means a whole lot of study."

Duncan scowled at me and yelled that he wasn't dumb and studying wasn't a big deal. We finished and I helped Emmett with the dishes, I offered to do them while he relaxed since he cooked but the man would not even dare to argue with me and instead just allowed me to help.

"Thank you, for the food it was really good." I don't know why but I just gave him two thumbs up and he looked between them and chuckled.

"It was a pleasure."

I called Duncan down and he whined and stomped slowly the whole way down the stairs, he went on about how since it was late we may as well just sleep over. I had to remind him painfully that there was school and I had work.

He waved at Katya sadly as we said our final goodbyes at the door.

"You my dear child. What am I going to do with you?"

"Feed me. Cloth me. Feed me again. Let me sleep." I laughed as Duncan listed this counting on his little fingers while I got us on the road home.

The house was quiet and I was still hungry albeit satisfied. I made Duncan go upstairs to wash up before bed and found myself in the kitchen. I poured myself a glass of water and ate some of what Logan had cooked while my mind lingered to Emmett.

The man, from all I could gather of our short night together was strict yet thoughtful. He was nice despite his rare habit to smile. I wondered if he was even happy being here and shook my head. He was new, he just needed time. I nodded. He has to enjoy it here or else how would I see him?

I finished and washed my dish, leaving it to dry on the rack, Parker who was only 13 hated this habit of mine. I chuckled thinking how he'd be irritated because of the water marks in the morning.

I made sure the doors were locked before going upstairs, I looked into each room. Duncan was already asleep, snoring and shirtless on his bed, his blanket was covering only one leg and I rolled my eyes knowing even if I fixed it he would make sure it was like that again.

Moving to the second I found Parker awake, a bright screen illuminating his face. I turned the lights on and glared.

"You have school."

"Dad!" He didn't look at me once as he whined and blasted away on his console. "I'm almost there, I swear, just give me ten minutes."

I felt like I was on a hopeless cloud nine but not enough to forget the fact that it would be irresponsible to ignore this, the time was already 9:15 pm.

"If you don't put it down, I'm going to cut your allowance."

The pause button was hit and his eyes wide he turned to me slowly.

"No."

I merely motioned to the screen with my chin and he pouted.

"But dad, liste-" I closed the door knowing he was about to guilt trip me, then proceed to be all cute and I was not having it. I heard him growl at me before everything shut down and he grumbled into his bed.

Opening the door to my oldest's room, I was unsurprised to find it messy and empty. I rolled my eyes and took out my phone and sent him a text.

If she gets pregnant before you get a job, I swear I will not hesitate.

Dad!

He shot back and I rolled my eyes.

You better be at school tomorrow. One more phone call from the principal and you're finished.

Fine.

I put the phone on charge in my room before I took a shower. Then I made sure my clothes were ready and my alarm was set before I went to bed.

I smiled into the pillow thinking of the sound and smell of Emmett Ross.

A/N
18 September 2021