CHAPTER 6

It had been a week since Katya's birthday and not a word from her father about anything. Duncan was itching for a play date and I had no idea how to even approach the idea, let alone how it would work since my eldest Logan was on me about him getting a part time job.

I had on my work vest and a smile as I helped count new stock and pack shelves and clean.

Working always made me feel useful in some way, it was always satisfying for me.

A permanent worker had called in sick which left a bit of strain on management and I found myself working at a till instead of packing.

I smiled and helped people along until a very welcomed stranger not so stranger found my till. He had been in the process of looking through his wallet before seeing me. I smiled at Emmett.

"Hello stranger." I said, my heart skipping as he stared at me.

"Oh, hello." He loaded his groceries onto my table and I rang up his items. "I was actually going to call you later today."

"Oh, am I in trouble?" I found myself joking and his lip twitched.

"Katya asked about a playdate, unfortunately I've been so busy at work, I haven't found the time to even schedule a time and day with you."

"I've been struggling with even bringing it up." I blurted out and laughed nervously. "I mean, I wasn't sure I'd reach you."

"Right." He looked around nervous and I followed, looking around and wondering what was wrong. "Sorry, Katya said she knew where the milk was and I'm wondering if she got lost." He murmured squinting and I did the same and saw her.

The little girl was bounding right for us, milk in one hand and a chocolate cake in the other, I grinned as she sheepishly came to a stop, panting slightly and looking up at her father with a blush, she put the items on my table, I grinned and gave a questioning gaze for the chocolate cake. Emmett only rolled his eyes.

"You'd think after a week of cake she'd be sick of it." Katya the unsmiling girl looked at me and gave me a small smile. Perhaps I had been wrong, perhaps she just hadn't yet gotten comfortable around me to smile.

She hugged her father's leg then and he paid.

"Well, call me when you figure out a time for them to hang out."

"When do you get off?" He looked at his watch and I blinked in wonder looking up at him and he raised a brow.

"Right, uh, I should be done by 5?"

"Alright then, have a good day."

"You too!" He was already wheeling away from me. He had a very nice butt.

"Are you flirting on the job." My manager hissed and I jumped.

"No, sir, definately not me. Nope." I smiled at the next customer who was smirking at me and I pouted because it was a fellow pack member. I hissed at them and they only laughed.

By 5 pm I was sitting in my car, leaning back and closing my eyes. I had had a whole argument with a customer who said I was ripping him off by scanning an item twice. He wanted a whole scene which was exhausting really and I had to then slowly scan each item again for his satisfaction and under supervision of the manager before he paid. The whole thing was just cringe.

I took my phone and saw my son had texted me about wanting extra for babysitting Duncan because he was a fireball of energy and I rolled my eyes and started my drive home.

I felt myself grow excited at the prospect of receiving a call from Emmett. Any call from him, no matter what the reason was cause for true joy.

When I got home Parker was on his phone playing games in the living room, Duncan was eating popcorn watching a show and Logan had his girlfriend in the kitchen.

"About time!" Logan whined seeing me and I gave him a look before greeting my precious daughter in law.

"Nina, how're you?"

"I'm good, Mr. Wess, and yourself?" They had a bowl of chips between then and I kissed her forehead.

"Energized now that I see you." She giggled and I beamed at her. She was truly a lovely girl and only with her was Logan ever behaved. He wouldn't nag about getting money for babysitting or doing chores or act entitled, I adored her simply because she could stimulate such change in my son.

My phone went off as Logan tried to catch my eye to signal me. I jumped and stared before running out the kitchen and heading upstairs to my room which I proceeded to lock after closing. I breathed in deeply before answering.

"Hello." I cleared my throat.

"Bad time?" I could hear soft music playing in his back ground and I smiled.

"Nope, just got in actually, so not a bad time." Don't ever ask me why I acted like such a school child, staring at my toes, kicking the floor and biting my lip with a smile, even I couldn't tell you the kind of giddy I felt just hearing him speak to me.

"So, the playdate. I felt awkward asking then because you seem to have your plate full."

"Please don't. I'm fine really, any day could work for me. I have an ambitious 18 year old who'll babysit for the right price." I mentioned it like it was a proud moment but really there was so much sarcasm.

"Your son makes you pay him to babysit his own siblings?" The sound of shock in his voice made me laugh. I could just imagine his straight face, eyes swimming with confusion and brows furrowed with a tilt of his head.

"You'd be surprised the kinds of things he makes me pay him for."

"Why doesn't he get a job?" I paused cringing at myself for my own answer, as selfish as it was, it was true.

"I don't want him to."

"Why not? It would help wouldn't it? You wouldn't have to worry about providing for his endeavour's." I blinked and found my way across the room in thought of the truth of his words, words that once Logan had said to me.

"I know, I just..." I shrugged sitting on my bed and sighing. "I guess I don't like the idea that he won't need me anymore."

"Trust me, he will still always and forever need you." His tone was soft, comforting and encouraging almost.

"I suppose." I slid my finger over my night stand, looking at the picture of my family. There was a pause as I had my moment watching my son's laughing face as he held his brothers. He brought me out of my thinking then.

"So, when would be good for you? I don't think Katya will forgive me if I push this off anymore."

"Well, I'm not doing anything tomorrow?" I suggested and cursed myself thinking it may be too soon.

"Perfect. They could play, perhaps do some homework after lunch? Play until dinner?"

I realised his suggestion meant more time together, it meant a whole day practically, I felt myself grow so excited that I fist bumped the air before he said hello to show I hadn't answered.

"Oh...oh, yeah, yeah, that works." I chuckled. "That really works."

"Great, see you for lunch at say 12?"

"Perfect."

We bid goodnight and I was staring at my ceiling dreaming about the endless possibilities of tomorrow. Duncan would be thrilled and speaking of, my door wiggled and a whine was heard from the other side. I walked over to open and stared at my son in his wolf form, sitting and tilting his head up at me, he bent down low in a manner that suggested he wanted to play and I laughed.

"Yeah, you wanna play?" He got up excited and ran in a circle and stared at me. "Okay, okay, but what did I say about shifting in the house?"

He whined and bound downstairs, tail wagging fiercely and I stripped walking down the stairs. His brothers were already outside both in their giant wolves.

I shook out my fur then and they tipped happily before running around and tackling my to the ground. We'd be so hungry right after this.

A/N
18 September 2021