CHAPTER 4

The weekend arrived faster than I had anticipated, I had had to get off work early so that I could take Duncan to Katya's birthday party and my oldest son was not happy.

"I could take him." He said as I made sure I looked my best.

"That's okay, I got it. I'm sure your busy."

"Dad!" He groaned following me out my room.

I had gone early to work like usual at 6:30 and informed my boss that I would need to get off early, by 12 and my son knowing that I get paid by the hour there was not impressed.

"It's just a stupid 10 year olds party. Are you sure it's worth the pay you just lost?"

"I'll make up for it somehow." I flushed at his glare. "It's not that bad."

"You said I could go to the senior trip this year, are you going to keep that promise?"

I flinched at his honesty and swallowed. Over the past 5 years after losing their father, having to become the sole breadwinner was rough. The pack helps where it can but we couldn't rely on it too heavily what with so many families benefit from the funds the pack gathers yearly for those who need it and to keep the pack house running.

Living outside the pack house meant that what they could spare could only get us through two weeks in a month which is why I work the way I do. Looking at Logan I knew he was doing the math and it wasn't adding up for him. I sighed and squeezed his arm.

"I promise you, this in no way jeopardizes your trip."

His lips pursed and he shook his head. "I don't get it... I really don't. You never would have done this before so what's different? What's so important about this party?"

"Dad! Where is my bow tie!?" I glanced over at Duncan at the end of the hall, leaning to the side.

"Did you check the bathroom? Since you took it with you everywhere?" I told him and he huffed going back into his room then I looked back at my son and wondered if he'd understand.

I wondered more if it was worth revealing now, how much good would it do to tell him I'd met my second chance mate if I couldn't guarantee that he'd even want me.

"Later... I'll tell you later." His brown eyes searched mine. He looked more like his father every passing day, an ache in my chest shock me and I smiled and reached up to touch his face. He was as tall and bulky as his father, a spitting image and that's where the similarity ended, while Logan was spoilt and often times felt entitled his father had never wanted for anything even when he deserved or was owed it. A humble loveable wolf who gave me three amazing children whose existence could be the only explanation for why I hadn't gone insane.

I snorted then and Logan frowned his arms folded. He knew, just how much he looked like his father, so much so that I believe he felt guilty sometimes. He looked away from me and grumbled, I chuckled and poked his side's.

"Oh, Mr. Grumpy you need breakfast."

"I need cash." He held out his palm looking away and pouting, I rolled my eyes and reached into my pocket for my wallet.

"Because you cooked on Wednesday, nothing more." He looked at the bill I gave him and snorted. I held up my hands. "You know the deal, cash per deed and that's all you did this week. Your room, you might wanna change it a bit."

Duncan came bounding for me once he found his tie in the bathroom. He grabbed my hand and the present we'd gotten for Katya and pulled me along. I laughed at his excitement.

The whole drive Duncan was updating me about his life, parts that I missed because I got home late from work and just slept instead of letting him talk my ear off. It was funny and I asked him questions about all these wonderful things he found while playing with Katya and how he got into a new show because of her. Ten minutes was not enough time nonetheless.

There were cars parked all the way down the street and we had to walk some to get to their drive way. Duncan didn't even wait for me and I couldn't be mad.

The door was unlocked but we knocked anyway and the answer came from my worst enemy. I could not keep myself from scowling and glaring at the woman as Duncan pushed past her, following the laughs of children.

"Simon! How lovely you could make it." She greeted me as though this was her house, as though she were the host and I felt myself grow disgusted. In her pretty pink floral dress and comfortable flats, she looked absolutely gorgeous which only fed my green monster even more. She held her wine glass to her lips as she closed the door.

"I take it you took the opportunity to host?"

"Oh, honey, don't be silly." She took the present from me and set it onto a table full of them. I glared at her shoulders, so exposed, so smooth. I growled despite myself before I jumped when a hand came onto my shoulder. I turned wide eyed and just like the little dork I am, raised my hands up to my lips, the motion tipping the contents of his glass onto his shirt.

I gasped. "No!" I screamed while it was too late. "Oh no!" I patted the mess like it would make the difference and Mrs. Knidge came rushing with a paper towel. She gave me one too and I looked down to find I too had a stain on my shirt.

"Well, this is most unfortunate." Emmett looked at me calmly and I flushed embarassed.

"I'm so sorry." My eyes burned.

"I have plenty of shirts, seems you may want one too?" He looked to my own stain and I swallowed, he seemed to understand my lack of answer and grabbed my wrist. "Come with me."

I stared at the place he touched baffled. How easily he could do so without being affected and yet here I was, completely choked by an invisible potato and thinking how nice it would be for this hand to be around my neck, pulling me into him and- I am really really inappropriate.

I shook my head and found myself standing still and staring at my outstretched arm which was no longer being tugged. I looked around and found the elegance of his large room. The colour scheme was baby blue and off white with mixtures of grey and black.

"I'm not sure for the size b-" Emmett stopped short and I whirled around then to looked at him.

"Sorry, you...you have a nice bedroom." I whispered shyly and looked at the ground.

"Yes, well..." He held out a shirt of similar colour to mine which was a lime green, I took it carefully and he began to unbutton his shirt. My breathe caught and my eyes widened as I caught the glimpse of a tattoo on his chest before he turned. Emmett walked back towards his closet, I believe, his shirt now off his shoulder and another tattoo was revealed and I thought to myself-

Can a man get any hotter than this?

I fanned my face and turned around to the door. I made as fast work as I could to change my shirt but was caught at the beginning of buttoning the new one. I didn't want him to see my chest, littered with scars from rogue wolves and training, not out of shame but more to avoid questions I could not answer, not yet anyway.

He saw anyway.

Emmett's eyes darted between my face and chest as I had frozen at the sight of him getting his last button, he had done a double take and then avoided my gaze. For whatever reason I never found out.

"Shall we? I believe we were about to cut the cake."

"Cut the cake? Doesn't that happen at the end?"

"Katya has no patience when it comes to cake." He chuckled suddenly at ease.

I followed him into the jungle of children and the horde of mom's. This ought to be fun.

A/N
18 September 2021