CHAPTER 18

I was in my wolf form, having played with Parker and Duncan in the back yard when it happened.

They had left me and I had been so exhausted that I didn't bother to shift and instead decided to bask in the sun and take a nap. The day was Sunday and it was still very much young.

I felt small fingers thread through my fur and I let out a soft growl like purr in content at the massage, there was a giggle and I opened my eyes slowly.

"Hello," Katya was sitting in front of me and my large head shot up in alarm. When did she get here? How did she even? Why?

I looked around the yard then and saw it was only us, the back door open and I saw her caress my paws.

"You're really big." She said grinning broadly, her hair was down and curled and she had on shorts and a floral shirt with sandles. Her small hands came around my ears and she scratched vigorously and my tongue slipped out. Oh yes, that was a very nice spot.

I couldn't help my tail wagging.

"Katya!" The voice was full of alarm and both she and I turned to the voice, my ears perking at the sound and I stood, shaking out my fur.

Emmett's eyes were wide and full of fear, stuck on me completely and I shook my head like he would understand that it was okay, that she was safe. Katya stood and looked at me.

"Woah! You're huge!" She squealed and jumped up and down excitedly. "Dad! Can we keep him? I think he's lost."

"Katya, step away from the wolf, right now." Emmett was trying to keep the fear from his voice but I whimpered and stepped back slowly, then I lowered my self back to the ground and covered my face.

"You're scaring him, dad!"

"Me?! Do you not see the size of it!"

Katya came at me again, making soothing sounds and rubbing my head. Meanwhile, I was figuring out how to run away from this without running away because, well, there wasn't much of a place I could go, my back yard lead into a vast open land but the nearest forest was still through another street of houses. Our fences were high to keep neighbours from spying and going into the house meant running past Emmett who was beyond scared.

"It's okay, it's okay, we're not going to hurt you."

I moved my paws from my face. Emmett was a lot closer now, still very cautious and probably trying to get between me and Katya. I whimpered at the sight of his fear.

This is not how I had imagined him seeing me. How even was I going to explain this.

"Katya, come here, slowly. Right now."

"Can't you see he's scared."

"A canine whose jaw could break your skull does not pose comfort Katya, no matter their fear."

Katya sighed and stomped over to her father and glared. "He didn't move, see? You're the scary one here dad."

I looked at them and Emmett immediately grabbed his kid and ran for the door and shutting it before anything could go wrong. I knew what he thought, it's what any parent would think at the sight of their child and a larger than normal wild animal.

It's peaceful now, but then if it gets hungry then what?

I whined and covered my face. I could hear them inside, Logan was trying to reason with Emmett who thought it wise to call animal control.

"You can't own wolves, that's insane! Where is Simon? This is ridiculous."

"Dr. Ross, I'm going to need you to just calm down, okay, he's harmless."