CHAPTER 7

Duncan was beside himself with joy, at first he was skeptical because I had told him to bring all the homework he had due Monday and once in the car and frowning, he hadn't wanted to ask out of his own fear of the answer which was amusing really.

He saw the house and I hadn't even stopped the car before the door was open and I gapped at the little guy run without pause. I shook my head and parked, getting his bag and another bag of snacks I brought along with some wine.

"If you ever do that again, I will ban you from seeing Katya ever again." I threatened him glaring as the door opened and he gasped, his eyes wide.

"You can't do that!"

"Oh yes, I can." I wasn't going to play his little stunt off this time as he could have seriously hurt himself and just because he was werewolf did not mean he had permission to be reckless. I huffed and looked to the door.

Emmett was looking between us, amusement dancing in his eyes, the hint of a smile on his lip and I sighed. Duncan whined and greeted Emmett before going in slowly, cautiously as though afraid I'd make more threats should he move much. I chuckled at how effective Katya was proving to be. Yet another Wess boy completely wrapped around a woman's finger.

I needed their tips honestly.

"I gather he did something wrong."

"Gambles with his life he does." Emmett chuckled lowly and I watched him as the sound was as rare as a smile.

Katya peaked from another doorway and waved at me, smiling a little and Duncan looked up at me with big green eyes and I just nodded and rolled my eyes as he ran over before I changed my mind.

"I wonder how long he'll tiptoe."

"Probably until he realises that I wouldn't take away his joy that fast."

I snorted looking at Emmett who seemed to have just been watching me patiently. I flushed and held up the bag.

"Well, I brought snacks, for after lunch, while they worked and us, for...well, whatever we're to do." I smiled awkwardly. "And wine." I whispered.

"You shouldn't have."

"It was no trouble." He took the plastics and I set Duncan's bag on a chair. "So, what's for lunch?"

"I thought we'd just make sandwiches and since you brought snacks it'd make sense not to eat a heavy lunch."

I nodded. "I take it I get to help this time."

"Of course." He stated simply as he poured us each a glass of wine and got out ingredients for sandwiches. "Forgive me, but I like my meats." He had beef patties out and I laughed.

"You and I are going to get along very very well my friend." I winked at him grabbing the patties. He watched me for a moment after my statement and I wondered if I said something wrong, if he didn't want to be my friend but then he smiled a real smile, small but bright and nodded.

I spiced the patties the way I usually did when I made them from scratch and fried them. Emmett wanted his medium rare but I knew Duncan and I eat it well done. Katya didn't like meat much so she didn't get a patties.

We called the kids and didn't set the table, instead moved to the living room where he put on a movie for us to watch while we ate, Raya and the Last dragon, which I had already seen and loved so much that I was just as excited as the kids were to watch.

They sat on the floor, using the living room table for their plates while Emmett and I sat on the couch.

The atmosphere was so pleasant I felt my heartache. There was only one seat between him and I yet I wanted to be closer and at the same time I was okay with the distance, I found myself content with the idea of this being our forever, with us as friends, hanging out with our kids. I pictured him meeting my other kids, getting along with them, hanging out with them too. Him and I as best friend's, as long as it was him and I.

I looked over at Emmett whose eyes were closing steadily and I smiled fondly. He was so adorable. He took a deep breath at some point then to kind of wake up and I chuckled.

We'd all finished eating so I gathered our plates leaving the kids to watch and drink their drinks, they were completely taken. I washed the dishes and Emmett came in.

"You do-"

"Too late!" I stuck my tongue out at him and looked away fast and finished the few dishes and single pan we had made dirty.

"Unethical but fine." I chuckled at him and he proceeded to dry the dishes slowly.

Looking at him it seemed as though he had something to say but didn't know where to begin or if to begin at all. I gave him a friendly smile and he raised a brow, I shook my head and he sighed lowly.

"I've never had friends before." He said as I drained the water and began to rinse the sink. "So, I don't really know how to...to be one." I looked at him to find him looking at me. We were close now, our arms almost touching and he was just so tall. "Earlier you called me your friend... I...like it, the idea of being friends, I just... forgive me if I offended you by being inappropriate."

My eyes widened.

"No, no! Not like that, I meant." He touched the back of his neck and turned his body towards me his gaze to the ceiling. "You know, like, acting in a way that suggests I was being uncomfortable or...or acting like a stranger... I just, I usually, well, keep to myself a lot." He sighed after his short ramble which was so adorable I just wanted him to go on. "It's one of the reasons I got divorced you know... Veronica always said I didn't know how to be...in any form with anyone." He frowned then. "That I was distant in some way, even if I paid attention, I wasn't... present the way people need me to be."

He ran a hand through his hair. "So, forgive me, in advance."

"It's sweet," I found myself admitting looking at the cloth I held. "How careful you are about wanting not to offend anyone. I'll keep it in mind...friend."

Emmett stared at me, his eyes so blue and deep, so close, his smile with teeth that it almost scared me because it was the first time I'd ever actually seen it, so beautiful really.

"Thanks..." He looked around at the dry dishes and put them in their respective places. "Shall we finish the movie?"

"You mean the one that's a lullaby for you?" He chuckled softly.

"I'm more a horror fan. I'll never sit through animation that doesn't have singing."

"A musical fan too, are we?"

"I thought that was obviously." His comment gave me pause and I laughed to myself as we walked in and were immediately shushed by the kids.

We finished the movie and Emmett was asleep by the end. I got the kids settled in the dining room table with their homework where they could call us if they struggled with anything.

Emmett woke when there was suddenly absolute silence while I had gone to the kitchen to fix the snacks. He came in yawning.

"Sorry, aside from the lack of scares," he chuckled a little, "I also came in only this morning."

"What?"

"I'm on call this weekend, had a long surgery last minute, multiple stab wounds, very messy, very long." He smiled sheepishly.

"You can go sleep if you want," I frowned. "If I had known I-"

"No, I wanted you guys over." He stretched and shook his head.

"Still, you should go nap, the kids are doing a bit of homework anyway, I'll watch a movie. You need the rest."

"But I-" I shot him a glare so fierce that even my children never argued upon the sight of it. He blinked and tilted his head, "what are you doing... with your face?"

"What does it look like?" I continued to glare despite the flush in my cheeks.

"Well, like your having a hold your breathe contest. And your losing." I gapped and he laughed. Emmett Ross, the silent broading man who hardly even smiled laughed at me. It was hearty and loud and Duncan whined for the distraction while I marveled at how beautiful a man could possibly be.

"Well, doesn't change the fact that your gonna go to sleep, no alarms either, Mr.Ross." he smirked at me and held his hands up and now that I saw he had literal bags under his eyes.

I'm the most selfish mate alive. I would not deny that.

A/N
18 September 2021