Chapter Nineteen: Ivy

Start from the beginning

"Oh, me and Jacinda aren't a thing. She's my friend."

"Really?" she didn't look convinced.

"Yes, she's not my type. Too rough, I'd say. But she's my friend, and I'm really committed in helping her defeat Victoria. That's why I'm here, in the first place."

"I see...But I don't understand how you think that glass of gin will help ya."

I smirked at the raven curled bartender, engaged by her empathic look.

"You're right, this glass won't help me, but the girl standing over there might."

"Are you really going to ask Ivy for help?"

"Why does everyone refuse to trust her?"

"Well she's...just...you know. She's confuse, you never know if she's on the side of good or the side of her mother."

"There's only one way to find out." I said, with a smirk as my eybrows lifted.

I walked pass the tables and sat in front of Ivy, with my glass of gin and tonic in front of us.

"So, to what are you drinking?" I asked, smirking and trying to be funny.

Ivy rolled her eyes, not even a bit impressed by my lack of seduction skills.

"Shouldn't you be with your dear Jacinda suffering at the claws of my mother?"

"Ouch...Rude much. Tell me, why aren't you at court?"

"Because I'd like to be spare from my mother's deeds, for once. And what about you, did you give up fighting alongside my step-wench?"

I was amazed by her sassiness, but also a bit disappointed. It seemed Jacinda was right, Ivy was a bit evil, her wicked tongue gave that away.

"No, I didn't, just came up here to find some new allies to fight beside us."

She started laughing at me, hard.

"I'm sorry, I don't think Roni can help much in your cruzade."

"I wasn't thinking about Roni, I was hoping you'd be the one to help."

She stared at me, frozen in time, her eyes were surprised but static and confused.

"I'm sorry...What?"

She didn't seem to believe in a word of what I just said. Thinking that was just one of my sarcastic jokes.

"You heard it right. I was hoping you'd help us fight Belfrey."

"You must be stupid or have a death wish? Why would you think I'd like to have a part in a fight against my mother?"

"Because I'm a good soul reader, and I know that you suffer under Victoria's shadow, just as much as Jacinda does. The only difference is that your story isn't told, only your step-sister's."

"And...how do you know that? How do you know my true story?"

"It's like I said...I'm a good soul reader. I don't have to know you too well to know that you're in pain. But I can help you heal, the first step is fighting against your abusive mother."

"It's not that simple, she's powerful, and you're right, I suffer with her, but my pain is worse than Jacinda's. She has two kids, I have no one, besides mother. Even though she's terrible, she's all I've got. So no, I won't help you."

"Why would you want to be with someone who is cruel to you? You can let go of Victoria, Ivy. I'm sure you'll find someone in the world to fill the hole in your heart. Someone who deserves to win your affection." I tried to make her listen to reason, as I held her little fingers.

She stared at me, her eyes brightened, her cheeks highlighted by the warmth of my touch.

I think she was never touched like that, with empathy. I didn't even understand why I was so fond of her, capable of guessing her story, when no one else did.

"That's...No one ever listened to my side of the story."

"Well, that's because none of them were me. I'll tell you what, I won't pressure you anymore. I'll let you decide, whether to help us or not. But I really hope you make the first choice, and when you do...I think we should spend some more time trying to figure out each other's stories. Hope to see you soon, Ivy."

I walked pass her, leaving her with the bottle of whiskey in front of her, but also, a choice, whether to follow the goodness in her heart even if it meant to take a chance against her mother or stay in the shadow of pain, alone and broken.

I really hoped she made the right choice. I believed she was a princess locked in a cage, waiting for someone to inspire goodness in her, to see her as someone strong and special. I wasn't a prince or a savior, but still, I was sure that I could save her, because I understood her pain...I understood her.