Crystal Venom

A/N: my thoughts on ideas for this book are heading towards very dangerous territory...

* * *

Lance's Point of View

I pictured him in my head before drawing him in my notebook again: his shiny eyes, dark hair and fine jaw on the page made me blush at the thought of seeing him again. I had been experiencing a few dreams about the fire mage after the ball and received snippets of his true appearance. I memorised it, of course, and did my best to draw him but whatever I tried to replicate would never be as perfect as the real thing: Keith, my soul mate. He is so handsomely beautiful.

The most recent sketch I drew was inspired from a dream I had the night before of him shirtless, smiling at me with sparkling eyes and soul mark exposed. The scar upon his cheek was faint but it did not deviate from his overall beauty. His skin is fair and smooth, his posture shy but welcoming. While his left arm draped around his torso, gripping the bicep of the other, his right hand was held out for me to take. I reached for him, but before we could touch I found myself in the bed of my dark room with my hand raised to the ceiling. That was the dream I most regretted waking up from. I did not even have a chance to look further down— not that I was curious or anything, but for... research purposes.

The sketches of him in my notebook were a thousand times more accurate than that goddamn posters that were put up around the village from a few months back. I did not tell the truth to my parents, however, about how he really looked... I wanted to laugh at how terrible the posters were and the look of disgust on my family's face after I lied about the accuracy of the drawing. Even my mother commented on how 'rough-looking' he seemed on the poster, but I knew the truth, especially after my dreams.

My father had made sure that the posters included a reward to whoever brought the fire mage to the Castle and a severe punishment to whoever kills or hurts him in any way... Not that it mattered because the drawing of the 'masked thief' on the poster looked nothing like him, which meant that he was less likely to be captured by Altean guards on the village. I hugged my notebook to my chest happily because I knew that my soul mate was safe for now and probably still on the run, but at least he had time away from the Castle with his brother who he had rescued (I kept annoying Coran until he confirmed that one).

Over the months, I had made a list about what I have learned about my soul mate from Coran:
- Keith is part of a 'secret society' that protects the villagers from Galra forces
- The man he captured (or rather, rescued) from the Castle was his older brother
- His parents are dead
- He loves to draw and read
- The only weapon he is not exceptional in is a bow-and-arrow
- He is a friend to majority of folks in the village and his team
- He manages a Workshop in the village (in which many women try to seduce him, but fail- HA!)

Those were the only things Coran told me about my soul mate, but it was more than enough to paint a picture of his true self. He was everything I ever thought my soul mate would be as he is strong, brave, artistic, intelligent, kind and undeniably sexy. I used to think about my soul mate as this beautiful woman from the romance novels, the damsel who did not need saving. Now everytime I read a book, I tend to shift my attention to the man, thinking of him and wishing it was him with me... then I realise it's just a fantasy novel and I should probably snap myself back to reality.

On the other hand, I was able to decode what Coran told me into a reasonable story of Keith's life: his parents died so his older brother was the only family he had left... That's why he was so eager to save him from the Castle. If he managed a Workshop in the village, it would be because he had taken over from his older brother, probably because Altean guards would recognise his face but not Keith's (advantage from inaccurate posters!). Either way, both of them probably worked for the society since it seemed they were both going against the wishes of the authority.