Taking Flight

A/N: *rises from the dead* I have been told that some of you actually like the book, I'm so shook and happy about that wow✨ Okay, this is where they meet!

* * *

Keith's Point of View

"Follow me this way, please."

Never in my life would I have guessed that I would listen to a guard of the Castle of Dragons, but here we were. Ulaz and I stood amongst a group of people dressed in fancy, expensive garments. Of course, we all wore masks to complete the look so even if anyone did know each other, they would be unrecognisable- honestly, this made our mission so much easier to rob the Castle, did they not think this through when deciding the theme of this ball? Honestly, I could not be mad on anyone's behalf, I should be grateful... However, if I were to plan a party, I would consider the possible security risks...

Ulaz and I were guided into the gates of the Castle through a beautiful, large garden with a fountain in the middle. I calculated my surroundings, possible exits and alternate pathways from the garden to take for an escape route. As I was searching, I noticed a movement of ruffling from a bush of blueberries- I swear I saw a red tail... I was probably hallucinating. My stress levels were at it's peak, I had to focus on saving my brother.

The second I stepped foot into the Castle, I knew that I did not belong. The large, white marble corridors would intimidate the average commoner, challenging anyone who thought they would ever feel like they would have this level of royalty. The glow of Altean technology burned through the walls and hung amongst the golden chandeliers on the high ceilings next to painted masterpieces of angels and past Altean dieties. It made me uncomfortable and frankly a bit nauseous.

We were guided inside a gigantic Hall filled with hundreds- thousands of people! Guards would lose sight of us easily, another advantage.

"Make yourselves comfortable," the guard said, gesturing to the staircase leading down to the dance floor.

I will, I thought, I'll make myself right at home. Ulaz and I moved with the crowd and I reached down to my pocket where the Juniberry flower was. I had to take it out surreptitiously so that no one will see me holding the symbol of royalty in my hand. I could not afford to get arrested today.

"Stand in front of me," I told Ulaz, "I need to contact Pidge, no one must see me."

Ulaz nodded as we made our way to the food table of the hall, away from the dance floor where less people stood. My stomach felt as if I was being watched at all times. It was my nerves continuously warning me to be careful of my surroundings.

Certain that I was in the clear, I raised the flower to my lips and spoke, "Pidge, are you there?"

I dared not considering how awkward it was talking to a flower. I also did not dare act surprise when I heard the reply: "I am communicating with The Gorgeous Man right now."

Pidge's voice replied from the stem. This was such an oddly advanced form of communication- imagine if all letters could be transfered in this way!- "The spy says that if you are in the Hall, find a purple curtain in the right corner of the staircase. There's a small gap that is big enough for you to slide through. You'll enter an empty hall that guards use to leave to the entry way."

Luckily I was already standing at that corner and noticed a purple curtain just below the staircase like she said. I could not see the gap, but the curtain looked large enough for the average man to be able to pass through.

I gestured to the curtain and Ulaz nodded in understanding. We made our way to the staircase sure that no one was looking- there came a singer near the stage ready to blast a tune. He must have been famous because we heard a swarm of ladies scream in joy for the entertainment. We took that opportunity to disappear into the gap.