Fall of the Castle of Dragons

A/N: To make it clear: once this book is done, I will be uploading it to Archive Of Our Own (A03), but I find editing on Wattpad so much easier so I would rather finish the story here then transfer everything one time to A03 or Fanfiction.net. Thanks for the understanding!

* * *

Keith's Point of View

Just as Adam had promised, the secret passage led to the large garden after the gate. The moonlight covered the bushes and flowers of the garden, illuminating the beauty upon the stone ground. If we were not running for our lives, I would have appreciated the nightmare view more. I asked Takashi to look out for the horses. We have already made it this far, we could not afford to risk getting caught now or else this whole plan would have been for nothing. Unfortunately for my luck, there just had to be one last obstacle to prevent our freedom...

We came face-to-face with a familiar Altean soldier holding hands with that of another boy. They snapped back from each other when they saw us, alarmed. Takashi and I were just as alarmed because we knew that the soldier was Kinkade, Leader of the Altean troops that got my brother captured.

"You!" Kinkade growled at Takashi, unsheathing his sword, "How did you get out of the chamber?!"

A part of me knew that I should have snuck a sword inside, but I knew that I would have gotten caught if I did. No matter, I did not need a sword to fight one boy. I was faster than him and could easily take him down. I slowly let go of my brother's good arm, setting him down on the ground.

"Keith, what are you doing?" Takashi winced, holding onto his bad arm.

"I'll protect you," I promised, "You're too weak to fight. Stay here for a second, I've got this."

I walked forward towards them, meters away from my brother, before holding my arms up ready for a fight. I was applauded for this move once against a practice opponent in the Blade. My opposition had wielded a sword and I was able to move fast enough to tackle it off of him. That Blade soldier had been stronger than Kinkade so I had no stress. Besides, revenge was boiling inside me for this soldier ordering harmful things upon my brother... He was going to pay.

"He thinks he can beat you with just his hands," the boy beside Kinkade chuckled, "I've never seen a more foolish move in my life."

Oh, Kinkade and his boyfriend was definitely going to get a punch or two from me. I then learnt that the other boy had a dragon by his side and, once Kinkade lifted his sword, the dragon set the iron blade on fire. The boy's power must have been really weak if he did not even have the courage to absorb it's quintessence. Being a blacksmith made me aware of how dangerous and scarring a hot metal touch could be, but I knew what it felt like already so I was not afraid.

I hoped that he would not recognise my facial shape afterward for I knew how skilled the facial artists were of the village. I was relying on the mask and moonlight to hide the true structure of my face. Kinkade noticed that worry, it seemed.

"Let's get that mask off you, shall we?" he asked, immediately charging towards me.

Just before I could defend myself, I saw something in the corner of my eye. The same movement I noticed while Ulaz and I were making our way into the Castle. That small distraction, that slight moment of weakness, caused Kinkade to punch me onto my back. He raised his sword and aimed to slice into my face. I held my arms up just in time to grab his arm with all my might.

"That wasn't even a challenge," Kinkade spat, pressing the blade to my skin, "You really think you can possibly defeat me?"

I felt a searing pain in my face and I screamed in terror. The heated iron pressed to my jaw, lava upon my skin. My brother was yelling at Kinkade to get off of me but he seemed so far. I could not see him and I could not reach for him- I was all on my own. I needed to rely on myself just as I had done after my father had died. I needed to defend myself like I had done in training against eight other Blade members. I needed to show this boy that he was messing with a leader. I was a true Blade soldier and he was another guard who terrorised villagers instead of making them feel safe like we do. He was just a pawn in the game while I was the Knight.