Chapter 12:Him

I wanted to go after the officer and beat on him until he released Gabe. But I knew the only good that would come out of that is — well nothing. Not only would Gabe be locked up in his little puppy pound jail. But I would be locked up for assaulting an officer.
"Hey!" I heard someone shout from a vehicle on the curb as they sat their coffee in, what I assumed, a cup holder. They quickly exited the vehicle and started speed walking to the man. The guy had brunette hair, broad shoulders and a tattoo on the left side of his neck. I couldn't make out what it was from where I was standing, but it made him looking tough.
"That's my dog," he said as he started reach for Gabe. The officer yanked him away, "No collar, no tag, no owner." The man repeated.
     The brunette dude quickly snatched Gabe from the officers arms and narrowed his eyes, "I said it was my dog."
The officer was about to argue but then held his tongue and huffed up as if he was trying to appear tough, or bigger than the broad shoulder man.
   "Stop pooching your chest out like an insecure thirteen year old girl." The brunette guy snapped, making the officer immediately stop.
Why does he have so much authority.
   His dominant figure made me feel somewhat intimidated, yet it made me feel somewhat safe.
After a moment of awkward silence as I watched the two of them exchange dirty looks, the officer finally spat and then turned around and began heading the opposite direction.

I sighed in relief as the brunette man headed my way with Gabe still in his arms. "This little guy yours?" He asked with a perked eyebrow. I nodded slightly, embarrassed of my appearance in front of such a good looking guy.
He smiled and set Gabe down, "Might wanna get a collar for him or that douchebag will keep coming back to get 'em."
    I bit my lip and nodded, "When I get the money I will."
He then looked me down from head to toe.  I could feel his eyes examining my dirty clothes, matted hair and filthy face. I looked down at Gabe who wagged his tail happily and grateful to still be with me.
  "Here."
I looked up and saw his hand inches from me. He was holding a twenty in his hand. I looked at his face. His eyes were sincere, yet dark. He had a nose piercing—as well as an eyebrow one as well.  I noticed his right ear was pierced, unlike his left. He was rather attractive. I could feel my cheeks flush as I stared stupidly at him.
    The corners of his mouth curled up slightly, "My arm is getting tired."
With that, I was snapped back into reality and heat gathered in my cheeks.
"Twenty? For a collar?" I asked with my own perked eyebrow.
He nodded, "I figured you could get him a collar, some food, and you some food or whatever you needed. Just take it."
His voice sounded slightly hostile in his last few words, but I didn't hesitate to take the twenty and shove it into my pocket.

"Thank you," I smiled softly at him.
   His curled lips were back straight as he nodded, "Anytime street—"

Rat...

"-Chick."
My stomach dropped as he got back in his car and drove off.
He didn't call me a street rat.
  My mind automatically assumed what he was going to say—just for it to be shut down.
But who was he?

Street Chick? I snickered. Cool.