Chapter 16 - Us

"Hey...". Ethan greeted me and sat beside me on the bench at the garden. It was semester break in October and nice gentle breeze comes on a sunset. I smiled at his sight. He looked handsome in his simple grey round collared shirt and light blue slightly ripped jeans. He stared at me gently looking at the depth of my eyes. He knew what I had been thinking.

"Do you want me to go?" He took my hand and rubbed his finger on my palm forming circles delivering soft tingling sensation to me.

"Of course, you have too." I looked at him giving out a smile that could reach my eyes telling him it's okay. He looked reluctant.

"Well..." I spoke. "We're practically getting adults now, yourself have to take steps that would start your career in the future, your MBA, you're dream profession, helping your father with you're family business, everything is at stake here."

He fell silent. He knew I was right. "Come with me." He said and he sounded serious.

I looked at him, as much as my heart desired to be with him. "You know I can't." I answered. I was going to good school an orphan like me could not ask for, I could not leave Aunt Lilly just yet and I could not just depend on Ethan to be with me forever.

I heard him sigh.

"I'm happy that you could take this step for your future." I continued.

He shifted my shoulder so I face him. His both hands locked my face and gently pulled my hair away.

"I'm taking this step for our future." He said with his face serious, putting emphasis on the word "our". "I'll work my life for you, so I could buy you our own house in Brooklyn, my workshop, we marry and have our own family." He said in declaration his eyes not leaving mine. He closed our distance and kissed me on the forehead, then he bent down to kiss me gently on my lips. I closed my eyes feeling the sweetest sensation of his kiss. He removed his lips, moved his chin over my head and gently caressed my back. I looked down as hot liquid was forming around my eyes. I flicked it away.

"I'll try as much as I can to be here during your breaks, or you can come to visit me otherwise and every Christmas I'll be home so I can get the spend it with the most special girl." He pulled away to look at me, his eyes were smiling, trying to make the atmosphere lighter.

I took the chance to stare at his face so long I want to make sure I memorise every details of it, he looked like he was doing the same. His eyes were the warmest blue eyes and his lashes looked like a dream.

"But it's true." He continued not breaking our gaze. "You have the most beautiful emerald eyes and every bit of you is amazing, I love you Emerald."

I looked down. I move my body close to his depositing my head to his chest and neck. Truth is, I was scared. He protected me, cared for me, treated me like family in return I was always around when he needed me. Him going to New York. He could meet someone that would be around for him. But what if he realised I was not special. What if realised his feelings were mistaken. What if he realised he really didn't love me. All these thoughts lingered in my head. I moved to wipe away a tear that fell down from my cheek. He must have felt me moved he tightened embrace his smelling my hair, I bore my head even more to his chest as I engulfed myself into his scent which I would maybe miss forever.

JFK Airport. New York

I flinched as I felt icy cold liquid on my cheek. I touched and realised it was liquid from my eye. I cursed. I felt freezing cold. Stupid I left my spare jacket at NAIA. I roamed around familiarising my eyes, it was my first time to ever set foot in New York nonetheless the state wasn't unfamiliar.

A tall guy in black suit came approaching my direction. "Miss Mira Bloodstone."

"Yes." I acknowledged myself.

"Sorry for being late we got caught up a little. By the way, I'm Rob Ross, Ethan DeLuca's personal assistant." He extended his arm.

"It's okay. My flight arrived early so technically you're not late."
Inside I was chilling but I smiled and shook his hand.

The chauffeur has also approached near us. He just gave a curt smile, took my baggage while Rob led his way to a black BMW X7. "This way, ma'am."

He opened to car door and my jaw automatically dropped slightly looking at a silhouette of a man. The hateful bastard. My lips twisted. His face looking at the front window. He didn't even move a little on my presence. I took my seat.

"You're in the New York, not in Baguio, you could have worn a decent jacket, you looked like a freezing chicken shit." I was surprised that he said something but I was even more surprised wit the words of insult. What a nice way to greet me after coming and leaving like a storm few weeks ago.

I closed my eyes for a few seconds and held my temper. I have readied myself in these kind of scenarios. Instead of spitting out words of hate, I stopped myself and said sarcastically.

"Thank you for the warm welcome."