Chapter 13 - Hungover

I was lost. I could not comprehend why I was alone at that time. My mother died on my small frail arms. She was grasping for breathe but I couldn't do anything about it. The only person I had in the world, she left me. I realised now she wouldn't have died if my father didn't leave us. She must have lived really sadly. I learned that when I heard people talking in her wake. Aunt Lilly my mother's cousin took me to the mansion where she was working as a help. She was kind. But more often she's busy with chores in the mansion. I was scared to talk to anyone so I would just stay hide behind the kitchen door at the back. I
liked this spot from here, the kitchen door had glass. I could watch the handsome boy play in the back garden. It's his family Aunt Lilly works for. We weren't introduced because I was sensitive I would lock myself away alone, but I watched him from afar, sometimes he had friends and they looked happy. Sometimes he's alone engrossed with making wood toys, I saw he made wood trucks he worked for three days every afternoon. It was summer.

One afternoon, I was at my favourite spot at the kitchen but this time the door was slightly opened. I saw the handsome boy engrossed again with another toy he was making from a wood, he was looking serious. I observed now that he liked creating things from wood. I saw his mother came around and brought him orange juice, since he was holding a knife his mom got him worried instead he showed him what he made, he flipped to the air and it flew above hanging for a time, it was a wood propeller toy, it's obvious that his mother liked what he made, his mother adored him. She came closer and tickled the boy and they were laughing happily with each other's embrace. The scene blurred my vision, my mother right at the moment was sleeping coldly under the grave, she's dead. I prayed many times it was only a bad dream but when I opened my eyes, she was not still here. I was sobbing but I wanted my memory to take me were she was and maybe I could pray again wish this was not real. So I closed my eyes imagining she was in front of me smiling, opening her arms to embrace me. But I felt no embrace. Tears ran heavily on my cheeks. I felt a thing poked my toes so gently I opened my eyes. I saw blue.

They were eyes, blue like the oceans. They were paired with thick shaped brows and lashes that looked like they last forever. His nose were cute and his red lips were shaped into an awkward smile. He was the handsome boy I was peeping at the back garden. He looked worried or amused or amused and worried at the same time, I wasn't sure.

"Hey are you okay?" He asked now looking concerned. I was surprised why he was in front of me. I looked down and saw what I felt that poked my toe. He flew his propeller on me. I looked up to see him, he was the prettiest boy I've ever seen. It was strange how I felt my stomach flutter. I haven't felt it before. I stepped back, this boy I only saw from afar is really now in front of me. He looked really handsome up close but I was shy so I stepped back some more.

"Hey, it's okay. Don't be scared." He gave me innocent look. His voice was nice and reassuring. He extended one arm but I was reluctant to take it.

"He bowed down to pick up the propeller toy. If you take my hand I'll let you play with my propeller." I looked at the wood toy he showed on his hand, it looked pretty. I looked to him and gave a shy smile.

"There you go!" He let out a bigger smile. He grabbed my hand pulled me to the garden. There was something in his hand that I felt when pulled me. It felt it home.

He took me to the garden at the left side of the house

He took me to the garden at the left side of the house. It was the prettiest garden with daisies and sunflowers surrounding it and we stood above thick bermuda grass. I had plastic propeller that I played with my mom before but this was way cooler. The boy showed me how to fly it. He flipped it and it hang in the air.

"Your turn." He picked it up and handed it to me. I rubbed both my hands, ran the stick between them and released it, it flew higher. It was nice feeling to see it flew lightly. It felt free. I was amazed my mouth shaped to a big happy smile like it was the first time since the last. I looked at him to check if he saw how I flew it so high, he looked mesmerised.

"You should always smile like that." I felt my cheeks hot.

"I'm Ethan" he extended his arm giving out a handsome smile.

For a few second I looked at his hand. They were pretty I was reluctant to shake it he tilted it a little to signal he was waiting. I took it.

"My name is Emerald" I said shyly, clasping my hand to his. I felt his warm hand.

"It fits your eyes." He said and gave me a warm smile. A smile I would not forget forever...

Darn hangover! I cursed. I pressed my forehead again. Actually my head slightly felt better after breakfast. It's my head that ran through memories probably the effect of now slight hungover, I hate it. My head is shit. I cursed again. I grabbed my chest as I felt it throbbing too. It's about afternoon now, I skipped lunch a while ago. I did not like the idea of seeing Ethan again after last night.

My phone rang and saw text from unknown number.

"I don't have much time now, let's talk about ur job offer at dinner, 7pm."

The unavoidable things. I sigh, threw my phone to the bed and head to shower.