Chapter 5 - Job

I closed my eyes and lifted up my chin to draw some fresh air. I was sitting on a swing sitting above a luscious green vermuda grass. I roamed my eyes around, Aunt kept it very well. The daises and sunflowers were surrounding the whole garden. The heliotrope are planted parallel to each other forming a pathway to a wood bridge over a small pond leading to a thick climbing pink roses forming into a rich arc. It felt bitter sweet, to seeing this place that had played tremendous part of my childhood.

"I never thought you've gotten really close with Gavin." I froze at the sound of a man's familiar voice. I thought it was strange dialogue for this man who came and talk to me for the first time.

"You barely know my life." I answered trying to make my voice sound as plain as possible.

"Right." He said short.

Then there was a long awkward silence. None of us was willing to talk.

I think he's become even more not fund of talking. What was he even doing here? None of my business. I told myself as I got up the swing intending to leave.

I felt his warm big hand on top of mine. I  was holding on the one side of rope of the swing. For the second time my body froze, just mere touch by him brought me in a lot of emotions I wouldn't care to decipher now. Like time machine my mind rushed back at scenes I dread visiting in the past especially the ones in this same garden. My heart suddenly felt striking pain. Its been almost a decade. How could his touch affects me this way? I asked myself feeling frustrated and disappointed at same time.

From his hands, I looked up at him to meet his gaze, I couldn't see his eyes clearly, I thought I saw a glint of sadness but I was wrong it's the same ocean blue eyes I gazed at the airport however you try to swim there, you wouldn't ever reach the depth. He already removed his hand over mine, he only intended to stop me and sat on the other swing at the side.

"I came here..." . He stopped for a few seconds like he was thinking of what he was going to say next, I'm puzzled why he came back, I knew he has great life in the US. Is he trying to come clean and apologize? No that's not possible. Even if he does, he won't ever be forgiven. I stopped my mind from thinking elsewhere. Assumptions. I should be the best person to ever learn about making assumptions.

"I have a business preposition " He said without looking.

I got struck. I looked up at him with my angry eyes like daggers ready to aim him only to meet his emotionless eyes. He came only for business, my consciousness at the back of my mind whispered. I closed my fist and took a deep breath then answered, "What business?"

"I need you to work with me."

A job offer. I thought. I didn't have to think twice. "No."

"Why said no immediately?" He looked on my side trying to find my eyes so he could look at me.

Is he insane? Why did he even ask the question? What does he want to hear? I can't work with him because I hate him? That he's a dark memory in the past thats now alive to come eat me up?

"I just can't. I have exhibit coming up and I'm very busy."

"As far as Gavin's your almost finished with your pieces and just waiting for the event itself. He said with questioning look. Is there a reason why you won't work with me?"

I let out a small laugh. I could taste bitterness in my tongue. "We talk like we were never friends. You didn't even ask how I was, how have I been doing? It looks like that all you are now. A serious business person." I cursed myself, realising that wasn't smart dialogue.

"You didn't answer my question." I knew it but I still feel embarrassed with his answer. Of course, he wouldn't ask me, how are you Emerald? Congratulations you barely made it alive. My mouth formed lump of distaste.

"I told you why I can't."

"Then hear me, I'm sure you will change your mind. Or I would think you feel something about what happened in the past that's why you won't work with me."

What? I feel really annoyed now. "Serious business person that's become full of himself." I spat. "That's how you've become now. Very well, Ethan!" I stood up trying to dismiss the conversation.

"Then prove to me I was wrong." He stood up his height towering against me. His eyes were challenging mine. His hand holding my arm. He's pretty damn close.

"I don't have to prove to you anything." I said with not very much opening my lips.

"Look, I'm venturing in Dubai and my team has made research on furniture designs to fit our clients taste and worthy enough to be placed on huge hotels and casinos there. They found one of your creative presentation and collaboration with a local furniture artist. We found it was perfect. Your creative artistry in painting and using them in expensive upholsters as canvas, wood as canvass... They looked world class just ready to be discovered. I don't think any artist would ever refuse. I'm sure you are thrilled to even hear this news.

I fell silent. It's true. His offer is huge that someone like me can't ever refuse. If it wasn't him talking I would be actually flattered. Eight years and I still hold the grudge. This man doesn't even care about me anymore and he talks pure business.

"Fine." He broke my silence. "I'm taking that as you are reconsidering."

I couldn't find words to answer.

I met his eyes as his face slowly coming near me. What is he planning to do? I could feel the warmth of his breath into my ear. I stood frozen "It was nice to see you again, Emerald." He said, almost like a whisper, slowly I felt him kissed me lightly on the cheek. I closed eyes smelling his sent near me. Few seconds his gone.

I stood there. With two crystal liquids that gently fell from my cheeks, I wiped them out and whispered.

"It was not as nice, Ethan...."