Crossdressing!Sang - Haunted House

A/N: An AU of Sang posing as a boy named Sage and her slow friendship with the guys that eventually turns into love. I'm thinking boarding school? Don't know yet. Any suggestions and comments are welcome! Thank you, @Justonename for the name for Sang. 

"Right, so. I suggest we split up and search for clues. Luke, Gabe and Sage, you guys take the right wing. Me and Nathan will take the left wing. We'll meet back up in the middle and combine what we've found." Kota told the lot of us before he and Nathan turned to go in the opposite direction. 

"Scream if you see any ghosts!" Gabriel called out, just as he clamped a hand on my shoulder. I jumped, jerking forward and watched Nathan throw a middle finger at Gabriel before his red hair disappeared around the corner.

"Sorry, Sage. I keep forgetting how tiny you are." Gabriel said as he steadied me with laugh.

Luke gave him a look. "Poor guy keeps getting thrown around. You have to bulk up more, and eat more chocolate." He smiled at me.

I ducked my head, rubbing the back of neck to hide how nervous I felt. I still wasn't used to having the guys treat me like one of them and shove me around all the time. I know they didn't mean it and technically I was supposed to be a guy but didn't they realize how strong they were? My bruises had bruises! Smoothing my clothes in place, I waved him off and turned in the direction we were supposed to search.

The hall was long and dark, with only the light of the moon to guide our steps. I stuck close to Gabriel and Luke -- or maybe they stuck close to me, I wasn't sure. I don't think I cared either way, I was terrified already and close to peeing my underwear. I prayed I didn't, because the others would never let me live it down and I just could not pee my pants in front of hot guys. Even if they thought I was a guy too.

"I wonder how old these paintings are," Gabriel said offhandedly. There were paintings all along the walls, mostly just scenery but there was one at the very end I could see that looked as if it was a cross between a man and a beast. I couldn't tell, in the darkness it was hard to make out the features and if I was honest, I wasn't sure I really wanted to know. Gabriel seemed so into it but the whole beast thing was really beginning to creep me out. I gulped, suddenly regretting this whole, 'let's search the Old Cooper Mansion down that super creepy road' idea. Gabriel walked ahead of us and when I turned back to Luke, suddenly he wasn't there anymore.

I sucked in a breath and put my hoodie over my head in a panic. I pulled the strings on either side till my face disappeared and all you could see were my eyes. "L-Luke? Gabriel, Luke's gone!" I whispered-shouted, running up and attaching myself to his arm.

"Dude, first off, you look ridiculous. Take that shit off. Secondly, the fucker is probably hiding out somewhere waiting to scare us. We'll just go and look for Kota and Nathan since Luke clearly ditched our asses." Gabriel stated as he disentangled himself from me and fixed my hoodie. I don't think I was hyperventilating but I stayed close enough that I could still grab his arm.

For the most part, I said nothing, letting him lead the way back because the way the shadows danced in the moonlight freaked me out. It didn't help every time we walked, the floorboards creaked.

Getting to the end of the hallway, we were back where we started and still no sign of Luke or the others. Right. If I never saw this place again I'd be so happy.

"Where did they go?" I whispered, pressing the side of my face against his arm. This part of the mansion was super old and dusty. Parts of the floor was giving away and I could barely make out dirt and grass coming out from the floorboards. If Luke jumped out at us right now, I would cry but hug him to death for being okay.

"Well, based on the direction of the wind, the broken sticks in the corner and the slight disturbance in the dirt, I'd guess they went left."

I frowned, staring at the ground in confusion. "You could really figure it out from all that?"

"No, you idiot. They sent me a text, see?" Gabriel shoved his phone in my face and I deflated in relief when I read that Luke was with Kota and Nathan. That shaved ten years off my life.

"You get scared easily, don't you?"

I gaped up at him, but I wasn't sure he could see my expression in the dark. Gabriel was much taller than me, maybe not as tall as Silas or Owen, but tall enough that I felt the difference in our heights. The guys never failed to make me realize how short I was. Or maybe that was just me.

"No I don't! I'm not scared, I was a hundred percent not scared back there." I told him with my arms crossed. I could practically feel him roll his eyes at me and I was pretty sure he thought I was a wimp by now. So far, I sucked at being a guy.

"Right. That's a load of bullshit," he said, just before he held his hand out to me. "Just....take my hand and we'll get out together. I'll protect you and...shit." He turned his head away from me so I couldn't see his expression but I was shocked, because I was sure I was still Sage Sorensen and not Sang at the moment.

Did he...? Did he suspect something or know my secret? I wasn't sure. But Gabriel's hand was warm when I gripped it tightly, and my worries from moments ago faded away. I was suddenly very glad that he couldn't see my wide smile I hid in the dark.