Malediction - part I

Summary: Random robberies begin occurring around Charleston, too much to turn a blind eye to. The Academy is curious and sends their best team in to investigate. But Luke, being Luke, decides to do a bit of snooping on his own and becomes intrigued by the girl who lives across the street from Kota. She always keeps the curtains closed, disappears at night with another girl in tow, and returns just before dawn in new clothes. But looks can be deceiving and when he buckles up the courage to tail her one night, he stumbles upon something he knows he wasn't supposed to witness.

Getting anyone involved was the last thing she wanted–especially the Blackbourne team. She was a monster, a fiend. But, slowly but surely, they begin working their way into her undead heart and show her she isn't the monster she makes herself out to be.

Confirmed RH – HEA with the Blackbourne team.

Chapter I – Curiosity Killed the Cat

Luke's POV

Kota had weird neighbors. I didn't think any of my brothers gave it any mind, but I definitely noticed how odd it was that we never, not once, saw them come outside. Heck, I didn't even know what they looked like or what kind of people they were! But, to be fair, I didn't think anyone up and down Sunnyvale Court knew who they were.

They were elusive. Mysterious, even.

Something about mysteries got me excited, made me nervous, and filled me with a sense of euphoria all at the same time. I liked the unknown, unexplainable things. I enjoyed putting all the little pieces together in order to figure out the mystery. I'd chalk it up to my Academy training, but it was really just in my nature to be curious.

My first suspicion about Kota's neighbors was that maybe we both had different schedules and I just managed to miss them all the time. I didn't come over to Kota's often, so I thought nothing of it. No problem, right? Strike one, Luke.

My second suspicion was that, hey, maybe they worked late or had odd jobs that took up a lot of their time. I knew a few people like that (Mr. B and the Doc), so I tried to brush it off once again. Strike two, Luke! Great going!

But one late night, I saw them. There were two of them. Girls, young, one blonde, one brunette, dressed from head to toe in dark clothing. The brunette was taller, looked older, and had her hands clenched as they scurried down their driveway. The blonde, small and petite, was walking after her hurriedly, and it almost seemed like she was trying to hold herself back every few seconds. From what, I wasn't sure.

For the next week and a half, they followed the same routine. My skepticism rose each night and soon, I was convinced there was something up with these girls. Especially the blonde one. I had a burning curiosity to figure her out.

There was this niggling feeling at the back of my mind that kept telling me I needed to find the answers to my questions, and I had plenty. I had a taste of it one weekend at Kota's; he needed someone to babysit Jessica since Nathan couldn't and I was the only one available, at least till Silas could join me later.

It was all good and fun. We had a tea party, I made her chocolate chip scones to go along with her sweet iced tea, and afterwards, I told her a bedtime story about the troll who lived under the bridge. She seemed to like that one, and it was one of my favorites, too.

Silas came over later that night and that's when I finally saw them—her, actually. It was only the blonde one. I'd never gotten a good look at her face because she wore really thick, dark glasses and an oversized hoodie that hid her features from view. Like always, she was dressed completely in dark clothes. But I knew her hair was blonde and her skin was pale like mine. She was tiny, though, which begged the question: just where was she going so late every night?