Chapter 9: Surprises

Kurama... I say in a whiney tone to Kurama while in my mindscape. It's half past 11 at night and I'm not able to sleep at all.

Yes, kit?

Did I do something wrong?

Kurama looks at me in slight surprise. What do you mean?

Sasuke... It's been 4 days since we've been back, but he hasn't come to see me. We got a week off, even from training, so he can't be that busy...

Aww... Are you upset he's not fawning over you? Kurama said in a teasing tone.

...But he was so adamant about being with me and now it's like he ignores me. I even saw him run away when he saw me near Ichiraku's! I say exasperated, trowing my head back while leaning against Kurama.

He probably has something to do. Don't overthink this, kit. I'm sure everything is fine!

I guess you're right. I let it a frustrated sigh. I'm just... Tomorrow is... T-that day and I was hoping he'd be here, with me... But I didn't even get the chance to ask him. I cuddle into Kurama's tails as I mope around some more, mumbling about teme's and missing him and being scared and being bored... and being hungry. Not seeing Sasuke means not getting any real food either. Kurama folds his tails around me, humming comfortingly. It's almost sounds like he is purring for me. I grudgingly settle myself down, engulfed in the warmth of Kurama's tail hug. I know, kit. We'll get through it.

Tomorrow... It's gonna be hell. Maybe I should go hide? But where would I be more save than behind all the seals on my home? Then again, the seals never stopped them before. They've always found a way in. Why would this birthday be any different? Maybe I should just stay in here and wait to see what will happen? I did add more seals since last year. Even a few I created myself that should form a problem even for a seals master. The seals are created with techniques considered unusable or forbidden due to the dangerous nature of using them. Maybe this year I can get through this unharmed..?

There is a knock on my door. I freeze. I've been so caught up in thought I haven't noticed somebody approaching. What time is it? Are they this early? I feel slight panic rising up in my throat. Calm down, kit, it's the Uchiha. Huh, Sasuke?

I make my way to the front door with a kunai in hand. What, is he just gonna show up like he didn't ignore me for four days straight? I scowl at my door. Pushing some chakra into the seal that can deactivate and reactivate all the other seals, I throw the door open with a bit too much force, slamming it against the wall. A startled Sasuke is looking at me. With a pissed off look on my face and a small growl I grab his hand and cut one of his fingers, drawing a small amount of blood. "Itai, hey, what the...." Before he can finish his sentence, I pull him inside holding his bleeding hand, slam the door shut behind him and press his bloody hand against one of the seals on the inside of the door. The seal starts to light up, followed by the seals around it. Almost like a ripple in a pond the glow passes over all the seals. I then reactivate all the seals, before turning around and walking into the living room. I flop down on the couch face down and wait for Sasuke to come to me.

After a few seconds of silence, I hear Sasuke take off his shoes and walk into the living room. I lift my head up to glare at him. He just stands there with a smirk on his face. "What?" I snap at him. His smirk doesn't falter. "You just basically gave me the key to your house, didn't you?"

I drop my head back onto the couch, face planting back into a pillow. "Yes." I grudgingly admit. Sasuke walks over and sits down on my back like I'm not sprawled all over the couch. I just don't react. "You gonna ask me why I showed up at your door at midnight?" Sasuke asks with a teasing tone.