Abduction

A/N: YAy! NUMBER 14, my lucky number!!! (73 is my other lucky number ^-^) so let's hope it's good ;)

sorry it's been so long i've been home in Cali (I've been on vacation almost the whole summer or busy with homework so that means almost NO WIFI) :(

“Sasuke, look who I found.” Neko slunk forward from between Naomi’s feet and eyed him suspiciously. It seemed as though the feline recognized him, but she couldn’t remember it that well. She’d seen him so long ago.

“Who’s that?”

“Neko, my cat. I left her when Orochimaru kidnapped me, and it looks like she sniffed me out again.” Naomi scratched her ears. “My sweet little kitten,” she crooned.

He slapped Naomi’s hand away, and her anger flared. “Don’t touch her,” he ordered, “Konoha could be using her as a means to find you. Put her back in the village now before anything bad happens.”

“Sasuke, don’t be ridiculous! Neko is innocent and sweet and you know nothing about her!” She slid between them to prevent him from harming Neko further. “Just give her a chance!”

“I don’t think so.”

“Please?”

“No.”

“But why?”

“For one, she’s a filthy mongrel and I’m not too keen on catching flees. For two, she could be a spy for the village and we must not give her the benefit of the doubt. For three—”

“Oh just shut up and accept her, you uptight baka.”

His eyes were still filled with suspicion, but he gave in. “Fine. Keep the cat.”

With a renewed smile, she grabbed Sasuke’s hand and held it out to Neko. She swore she noticed a faint blush.

“Don’t be shy. She won’t hurt you. Just pet her,” she assured softly. “You’re so nervous, Sasuke. Loosen up.”

She forced his hand to remain still before Neko’s scrutinizing nose. When she deemed him worthy, she licked his palm and allowed him to stroke her. Her ears pricked forward in a sign of friendship.

“See, Sasuke? She likes you.”

“Hn.” He appeared indifferent, but even Karin could see the glimmer of happiness in his eyes when the feline accepted him.

Naomi glanced at the positioning of the moon. It was almost time. “Sasuke, I’m going to bed. It’s been a long day.”

“Do what you want.”

It was only a matter of time. Then Naomi would see if she really meant something to Orochimaru, or if he would do away with her the moment she acted out.

Shikamaru…was she really doing the right thing?

“Naomi?”

“Shika?” She squinted up into the darkness of her tent. “I don’t know about this, Shika…I’m a little nervous.”

He slipped down from the rafters and placed a hand on her head for comfort. “Don’t back out now, Nay. Remember, we’ve got to test them.”

“I know, but do we have to kidnap Sasuke? Maybe we could take Karin or—”

“Don’t be stupid; no one likes Karin.”

Naomi looked around with anticipation. “Quiet, Shikamaru. They might hear you.”

He noticed her growing fear and pulled her into his arms. “Don’t look so worried, Nay. I won’t be able to do it if you make that kind of face. Everything will be fine.”

The tent rustled so softly and so inaudibly that neither had time to pull away. When she finally managed to turn, the puzzled eyes of the Uchiha boy stared down at her with confliction.

“Naomi?”

She reached out in such a way that at first, Sasuke believed she was to embrace him. But in that last moment, when her expression emitted such torn agony and confusion, a stray tear managed to escape her.

“I’m sorry.”

She brought her hand over his face, and his world descended into darkness.

Naomi, he dreamed, what a bitch.