Misguided

"Wow, healthy," Dr. McAndrew teased, as he found Dr. Grace in the lunch line. "Wait are those anchovies?"

Erin laughed. "High in omega 3s."

Dr. McAndrew took it as a chance to make another joke. "So you've been lying to me about your pizza preferences all these years?"

"I started eating them in Africa," she replied, after a fit of laughter. "Sardines, actually, but same thing. My mother was afraid I wasn't getting enough protein, so she'd send these little care packages, and they travel well, because you know, they're packed, like sardines."

"There you are," came a deep voice from behind Dr. McAndrew. He turned to see a rugged man approaching them. "You forgot these this morning," he continued, holding up a set of keys. He leaned in and gave Erin a simple, yet sweet peck on the cheek. Finally, he turned toward Dr. McAndrew. "Sorry to interrupt your conversation."

"Oh," Erin said as if she realized something. "Sam, this is Adam, Adam, Sam," she said gesturing toward each of them respectively.

"Hey," Dr. McAndrew said, trying to be polite. He shook hands with the man, with a pit growing in his stomach. Of course Erin had a boyfriend.

"Adam is a work colleague," Erin continued, "We actually went to med school together," she said, as if their relationship had been diminished to a simple friendship. "And now, he's one of the best pediatric surgeons in the country."

"Wow, impressive," Sam replied with an easy smile.

"Sam and I met in Senegal, he works for the IRC on clean water issues."

"Also impressive," Dr. McAndrew managed to say, trying to ignore how perfect Erin thought this guy was, and how he was suddenly, decidedly, not. "Well," Dr. McAndrew said hurriedly, "You must excuse me, I have rounds and things to get to." He could not get out of there fast enough.

***

Kara stalked into Emma's room, thinking back to Alex's remark about being a woman on a mission. Emma was tidying her things, in a constant effort for perfection. "I need a condom," was all Kara said.

"Excuse me?"

"A condom?" Kara repeated. "It's a form of birth control. Kinda like the dress you're holding up," she added.

"I don't have any condoms," Emma said, continuing to busy herself.

"Oh my gosh, please. You and Leo must be doing it by now, you've been together for like, forever." she sighed dramatically.

"You and I clearly have a different definition of the word forever," Emma shot back. "And very different ideas about sex, I would imagine?"

"Okay, sex is not an idea, its something you do when you like someone," Kara said condescendingly slowly.

"No, its something you do when you're attracted to someone."

"Same diff,"

"Attraction and love are not the same. Even you're not that stupid." Emma said turning to look at her.

"And you're not that naïve. You don't need to be in love to have sex, you just need a condom," Kara said, getting annoyed. "So, do you have one or not?"

"I really don't get you," Emma finally said. "Most girls have sex because they're insecure, but you, you seem to have the opposite problem. Too much self-esteem." Emma didn't like Kara for the obvious reason that she was a bitch, but she was also jealous of her. Emma thought if she could just have a little bit of the confidence in herself that Kara had, then maybe she'd be happier and healthier.

"Awesomeness is my cross to bear," Kara sassed.

Kara turned to walk away but then Emma called out, "So then what are you trying to prove so desperately with Hunter?" Kara turned back towards Emma. "Or, are you afraid that if you wait too long, he'll see how truly horrible you are and never want to have sex with you."

"Oh, I'm not the one who's desperate. Have you seen yourself with Leo?"

"What is that supposed to mean?" Emma said, not thinking that Kara of all people had caught on to her act.

"Whenever he's around, you're always trying to hide your weird rexie-ness. Trying to pass off as normal." Of course Kara was right, but Emma was scared that she knew. She tried to ignore Kara, walking around the room, finding things to put away. She needed to distract herself from the knot forming in her empty stomach, made up of Kara's words. "Newsflash. A normal teenager would be doing it by now."

"Yeah well, a real relationship is about getting to know someone on a deeper relationship than just sex," Emma fired back.

"Real relationships," Kara repeated, an evil smile twisting her lips. "You mean the kind where you bare your soul to the other person, and let them see the real you?" In that moment, Emma was sure that she was finally seen. In all her horrific glory. She was seen, by Kara of all people, and she knew that she wasn't better. "Go ahead, slut shame me all you want, but I'm not the one lying to my so-called boyfriend on a daily basis. How real can your relationship be if it's based on a lie?"