Confrontation

She found her on the roof, staring out at the passing people. If she'd heard Emma's approach, she made no move to show it. "It's nice out here. I can really separate the worlds," Alex said, confusing Emma. Then again, when was this girl not confusing?

"What?" She finally managed to ask.

"You know, my world, and theirs," She said, gesturing towards the people passing beneath them.

She nodded, understanding. Life at the hospital seemed surreal, and the people walking around this building, in which a whole new life took place, were a constant reminder of the world they'd had to leave behind. You were always trying to get back into that world, but were scared, and didn't know how, because as much as you wished it didn't, the world kept turning, the Earth kept spinning, and the universe kept going.

"How is it that I can be so jealous of people I haven't even met?" Alex's voice interrupted Emma's thoughts.

"Because you aren't close enough to realize why you shouldn't be," Emma answered, looking down at the oblivious pedestrians.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I'm sorry, okay?" Emma finally said, having had enough of the silence.

"I know," was all Alex said in reply, not seeming to be able to tear her eyes from the scene below.

"I was being so stupid. I mean, I should've known, and I freaked out over noth--"

She was stopped by Alex whipping around to face her and shaking her by the shoulders slightly. "Emma, I know." She said firmly, and turned around to face the outside world.

Emma left then, realizing she didn't want to be disturbed. Besides, she still had to go talk to Leo. The thought made her shudder. Usually, she was the right one and he was coming to apologize. It wasn't easy for her to humble around him. She didn't know why, but when it came to him, humility wasn't something she welcomed, unless it was coming from him.

-------------------------------------------------------

Leo looked up when he heard a knock on his door. "Come in," he called, and watched the door give way to a very uncomfortable looking Emma.

"Hey," she said, slowly. "Umm, I wanted to apologize."

"You do?" Leo said, incredulously. He was pretty sure she'd hate him after the stuff he'd said, and after the whole, Kara-kissing-him thing.

"Yeah. I'm sorry about what I said to you, how I completely blew up on you about you and Alex. I--I was wrong, and I'm sorry."

"Wow." Leo said, laying down on his bed, in awe of what just happened.

"What?" Emma said nervously, tugging at the sleeve of her sweater.

"I just--wow. I can't believe you--you just--said that. Wow. I just can't believe you'd be that willing to apologize," he said, in awe.

"Well I am. I just didn't want you to be mad at me, I was really stupid, I mean, I was already upset, and seeing you with Alex just put me over the edge."

"Why?" Leo asked, confused.

"What?" Emma asked, uncomfortable.

"Why did the thought of Alex and I together put you over the edge?" Leo questioned incredulously.

"Umm well..."

Emma was cut off by Leo's door being thrown open. "Hey, guys," Dash said. "Oh, did I interrupt something?" Dash asked, realizing his mistake of not knocking.

"No," Emma sad quickly.

"Well, good, cuz there's good news. Jordi's awake now!" He said, happily.

"What?" Emma asked, feeling stupid. She was too thankful for Dash's perfect timing to comprehend what he was saying.

"Didn't you know?" Dash asked, looking at their blank faces staring back at him.

"No, sorry," Emma and Leo said.

"Man, you guys get so wrapped up in yourselves that you don't even notice the rest of the world," Dash said, shaking his head. "Why don't you guys just make it official? This whole beating around the bush thing is taxing," He continued.

"What?!" Leo said, surprised. "Dash, just tell us about Jordi."

"Oh, yeah. So when you guys went to homecoming, Jordi and I went to the movies. He passed out, like right in the lobby. So, we get him home, and turns out leaving the hospital after a chemo treatment without adult supervision is strictly against the rules." Dash says, and it's clear on his face that he loves being the one who knows everything.

"Where is he now?" Emma asked.

"He just woke up. Did you guys seriously not suspect anything when he wasn't in his room?"

"I just assumed he was with his mom," Leo said.

"Why didn't they put him in here?" Emma asked, confused.

"They wanted to get the IV in him ASAP, so they just put him in the first bed they could find and put him in the ICU."

"Oh," Emma said, lamely.

"But he's awake now so come on!" Dash called and swept out of the room.

---------------------------------------------------

"Is Kara coming?" Leo asked Dash, mentally kicking himself when Emma frowned.

"Nah," Dash said. "She used a lot of unnecessary expletives to tell me that Nurse Jackson wanted her to take another stress test or something."

They reached Jordi's bed and found him laying down alone, staring at the wall. He looked up when he saw them reach him. "Hey," He said, weakly. The medicine was making him drowsy, numb. Which was exactly the way he wanted to be.

"What's up, man?" Leo asked.

"What do you think?" Jordi answered, gesturing around him.

"Yeah, well, at least you have us," Emma said.

"She's right," Dash added. "Your fellow red banders are here for you, man." He looked around. "Wait. Where's Alex?"