Suspension

The incessant beeping of the monitor, though annoying, reminded Kara that Dash was still alive. The high pitched noise was anything but reassuring, and the events of the day only showed her how fragile everything was. Coming from someone who lived in her own perfect bubble, this was a pretty big realization. One she only came across because of her time at the hospital. 

The sound of footsteps pulled her from her thoughts and she turned to see Hunter staring at her and Dash. "What're you doing here?"

"Just grabbing my book," he responded casually. "How's your friend? They didn't pull the plug on him yet did they?"

Kara shook her head in shock. She knew it was all an act, but he seemed to think he was convincing. "You know what, Hunter? Even for a nihilist you're a real  sack of crap."

"I never said I was a nihilist."

"Right. Cause what kind of nihilist needs and audience?"

"Look, none of you guys had to come to that surgery. You made your own choice."

"Hey, I'm glad I came. I learned a lot. And you know, you're right. This is all a distraction," Kara gestured at the hospital around her.  "And you don't need to be one of us, but when you fall, we're gonna be there anyways." She watched as Hunter stared at her, appraising her with his eyes. "Maybe we all do die alone, but that doesn't mean we need to live alone." Kara left him, in aware of his eyes that followed her out of sight.

...

Jordi decided to stay with Dash, which left Leo walking back to his room. He paused at the door when he saw Emma sitting on his bed, looking down as she played with her fingers. "I'm not here to fight," she said, when she realized he was there.

"Great, I'm too tired to fight."

"But I'm not going to apologize."

Leo hesitated as he could hear the edge in her voice peeking through her assumed calm exterior. "Me neither."

"I'm glad I got to meet your friends," Emma continued, her voice oozing contentment that seemed too good to be true. "I really like them. They're the kind of people I would want to be friends with," she dropped her gaze as she mentioned that last part. She was unable to lie to him while looking in his eyes. "Well, you know, if I had friends that way."

"You do, and you will."

She smiled and stood, Leo watching her as she walked around the room. "I meant to tell you," she said, whirling around. "My dad might be coming up to visit next week, and I don't know if it's too soon, but I would really like for you to meet him. If you want."

"I'd love to."

Emma looked over and saw a box of opened marshmallow fudge. "Those used to be my favorite when I was little." Her stomach turned, but she remembered Lauren's words. "Can I have one?"

Leo wasn't very successful in hiding his shock. "Sure, help yourself." He watched her closely as she took a tiny bite. "How's it taste?"

"Like home," she replied with a smile.

Leo could think of nothing more beautiful than what he saw before him. He was so surprised and proud, and wanted to tell her, but knew he always messed up with words.  He leaned in to kiss her, his only solution. Just as his lips touched hers, she pulled away slightly.

"My mouth is full."

"I don't care," he said with a smirk. She let him kiss her this time. He pulled her closer, and held her in his arms as their lips moved in perfect rhythm. Though they fought, they both knew, at the end of the day, you can't help who you love.

...

"I know, I know I'm not supposed to be here," Nurse Jackson said, as she watched Dr. McAndrew come out from behind the main desk.

"You're not."

"Lisa called, she said it was an emergency, she said it was something about Dash?" She was met with the emotionless face of her friend.

"Dash is fine. He had an event, but he's back to baseline. "

She nodded, and once she'd calmed down, the tension in the air set in. "Uh...That's all, I guess. Kenji can clean out the rest of my desk in the morning." She turned to go.

"I told Lisa to call you."

"You did?" Nurse Jackson didn't try to keep the surprise out of her voice.

"I understand why you did what you did. But you cannot afford, to take those types of risks.  Forging medical results? That's dangerous stuff."

"I thought about everything that happened, and maybe... you may not have been completely wrong."

"Which means, you may not have been completely right."

"It goes to follow."

"I'm guessing that's as close to an apology as I'm going to get."

"Take it or leave it."

"I'll take it."

"Okay," she said with a smile. "I'll be back when my suspension is lifted."

"I lifted your suspension. I realize that these kids mean everything to you. But what I didn't realize was how much you mean to these kids. They need you. And more importantly, I need you. "

"Well then I guess I'm where I need to be," she said, a hint of a smirk forming on her lips.