Surprise

Leo was mad. Emma wouldn't talk to him, and he felt like he'd failed her. Like she was expecting something from him, but when he kissed her he'd sealed the deal. She wasn't answering any of his texts, and he'd left 3 voicemails. Whenever he tried to go see her she couldn't be found. He knew he'd blown everything, and he was mad.

Late in the evening, as he was getting ready for a sleepless night, he heard a noise and turned towards the door, seeing the last person he'd expect standing there.

Emma stood there, looking nervous and uncomfortable, more than usual. "Hey," she called, timidly.

"Hey."

She took a deep breath and walked in.

"Look, we don't have to do this Emma," Leo said, misinterpreting her uncomfortable disposition. "You  made your decision quite clear."

"How'd I make it clear, I didn't say anything," she responded, confused.

"Exactly. You haven't looked at me all day," Leo pressed.

"That's because you've given me this weird ultimatum and it's been stressing me out," she tried to explain.

Leo shook his head and looked out the window. "It wouldn't have stressed you out if you were into this."

"That's the problem," Emma claimed, sinking to her knees so she was at his height. "I'm too into this," she said strongly, looking at him. "Leo, I'm terrified of how into you I am. I spent the whole day, compiling data and making spreadsheets, just trying to come up with why I shouldn't like you. But no matter how I crunched the numbers, it just kept adding up to me liking you, and I didn't want it to."

Leo stared at her in shock, her words ringing in his head. He couldn't believe it. It was all he wanted to hear, and she finally told him. "So, uh," he started, still in shock of her words. "So, what do you want to do?"

She looked at him, and said, "I want to do this." She quickly and decisively leaned forward and kissed him. There were few things Emma did without hesitation, and the fact that kissing Leo was one of them was one of the most confusing and comforting things ever, and Leo knew it too.

Leo kissed her back eagerly, as if to make up for lost time. She smiled, and deepened the kiss. He grabbed at her waist, and pulled her up so she was sitting in his lap. She kissed him with all that she had, and he responded with equal force, smiling.
--------------------------
--------

Kara passed by their room on the way to the nurses' station, desperate for answers. "Woah woah woah. You're supposed to be in bed, lady," came Kenji's irritated voice from behind the desk.

"I know, I know, I was just wondering how that surgery went, with that guy," Kara asked quietly, her fingers nervously playing with the pink threads of her sweater. Kenji looked at her like she was crazy. "You know, the one who had that 'liver transplant'."

"You mean Hunter?"

"Exactly, that guy."

"Kara, you know I can't discuss a patient's medical condition," he said, seriously. His voice held a bit of sadness in it, and Kara stared at him in surprise.

"Oh my god. Did he really have a liver transplant?"

Kenji looked up at her quickly, and turned around, trying to busy himself with unnecessary paper work.
"Wait, you look like something bad happened, what is it? Is he dead?" She asked Kenji's back nervously.

"Why do you care?" came a familiar voice from down the hall.

Kara spun around quickly, swallowing a small gasp of relief.