Newest Patient

For those just now starting Alex Carter, thank you! And I really hope you enjoy it. Also, feel free to check out the beginning of my new book, Love's Labor's Won. 

The bright sun shined through the glass windows, igniting the white walls of the pediatric ward. Nothing was out of place, except for the girl. She slowly walked to the front desk, taking in her surroundings with her bright blue-gold eyes as the sun played with her brown curly hair. She shifted her duffel bag on her shoulder as she made her way to the desks. Lots of people were looking at her, unsure of what to make of it. I mean, it's not everyday you see a beautiful, healthy girl in a hospital that looks like they're staying a while. Well, I take it back. You never see that.

Kenji acted as if he hadn't been looking at her like everyone else had when she approached him at the desk. "Hey, I'm a new patient here, and my doctor told me to ask for Nurse Jackson when I came so I could be settled in, do you think you could help?"

"Thank you Kenji, but I think I can take it from here," Nurse Jackson replied. "Your name is?" She asked the brunette.

"Alex Carter."

"Oh, yes. I was wondering when you'd show up. You're Doctor McAndrew's newest patient, right?"

"Yeah, that's right."

"Well come with me. We can take your bag to your room, and you can get the rest afterwards when you know where it is."

"Oh, it's just this," the girl said, gesturing towards her duffel.

"Mmmhm," Nurse Jackson responded.

On her walk through the hospital to her new room, everyone stopped and stared at the girl. It's not just because she was new, and beautiful, but because she looked healthy. Not a sight you see at a hospital. Even the not sick relatives or friends of patients look unhealthy. They look tired, anxious, and beaten. But this girl? She was young, beautiful, and healthy. You could see it in the way she walked. Everyone that stared at her was wracking their brains trying to figure out why this girl was a patient. Especially me. But for Alex, a lot more was going on on the inside.