A Hidden Regret

I reached to the bench on the opposite side where it was empty while Sakura was still watching me in doubt about my intentions.

"It's permitted to sit here?", I ask blankly.

"O-of course, Mister.", Sakura replied hesitantly.

I sat down and got comfortable while looking at my surroundings. I glance at Sakura from the corner of my eye and I see her fidgeting with her hands while her head is bowed to the ground. She has always been shy when around strangers.

"You must be Sakura Matou, correct?", I inquired casually.

She looks at me surprised at the sudden question, still not making eye contact,"Y-yes, that's me. How do you know my name?"

"Shirou talked a lot about you. Let's say he's a friend of mine from overseas. I recognized you by his description he told me about you.", I explained while stretching my arms. Of course that's not the whole truth but it will suffice for now.

She looks at me, eyes widen at my statement with a slight blush on her cheeks.

"Senpai told you about me? How is he doing? He's still at England with Rin?", she questioned hastily with her curiosity piked.

"He is doing fine despite his struggles on his studies. I heard he was coming back to Fuyuki City for vacation.", I responded as I look at her again. I'm going to skip the last question as I'm not sure what's going with Rin and Shirou.

Sakura smiles slightly, content showed in her eyes as they sparkle with what seems like a spark of hope,"That's great, I will be able to see Senpai again. Tell me, what's your name, Mister?"

"Call me Kiri"

In a blink of an eye, she holds both my hands suddenly with gratitude in her eyes,"Thank you so much, Mister Kiri. I'm so grateful I get to meet you and receive good news."

I was speechless, eyes widen. She realizes what she has done and let's go while scooting away a bit, blushing. My face was also a little warm after the contact. That moment made me realize that I was softer than I expected within my steeled heart.

"No need to thank someone who doesn't deserve your gratitude, Miss Matou. Besides, I was just doing a favor.", I responded, scratching the back of my neck while looking away shyly. An old habit when I was my younger self.

Instantly, I remembered one of the reasons why I wanted to talked to her,"I was meaning to ask you something, how is Shinji Matou behaving?"

Sakura tilts her head a little with curiosity but responds honestly, "My brother? He is back home right now. He has been doing great ever since he got out of the hospital a long time ago."

No surprise there. Even a thick-headed guy like Shinji would change after a Holy Grail War. He should be thanking Rin that she saved him. It was surprising to hear that he is helping and even more so cooperating with the Mages Association. Somehow, I got a feeling that he has a personal agenda in this.

"I understand. It's getting late, I recommend you heading back to the Matou Residence since the city is dangerous at night. I will escort you home just for precaution.", I said as I stood up from the bench.

Sakura shakes her head in refusal, "You don't have to do that, mister. I'm perfectly fine going alone like always."

"That was not a request. Let's get moving, shall we?", I said was I went ahead walking, turning my head to see if she was going to follow me.

She blushes a bit, stood up and went walking hastily to catch up to me as we went on our way to Miyama District.

I will honestly say that I don't want her involved in the masacre that will engulf in the city. The impulse of escorting her to safety was carried out by what closely resembles to my younger, naive self from long ago; which sometimes gets the better of me in situations like this.