Chapter 40: Midsummer's Eve

39-2-2-4012 DM, Perangar Eranga, Telama, Hilaraya

The twenty-first hour of light came as the last notes from the toll of the bells of the Garalahi faded in the air. Dari sat cross-legged with his eyes closed while he relaxed his mind in meditation. After a few minutes, he opened his eyes and saw that the sun was already at the tops of the trees to the west, ready to hide and give way to the night. The sky was a stunning mixture of purple, crimson, and gold, and a gentle wind was blowing from the north, creating a perfect scene to mark an end to the day's lessons with the Saraji.

Dari, with Saraji Fernon just a couple of arms away from him, had been meditating for most of the last hour. Before this, they practised how to summon the wind to do various things. They tried to create small twisting pockets of wind that danced around them, and to lift stones using the force of the wind.

Dari had learned so much already in just a few days under the Saraji's tutelage. He learned many concepts and was able to execute various tasks and exercises very easily. He was able to do them right the first time, every time. He reckoned that this was because he would eventually be given the gifts of all four elements as the Rayaharadu. Regardless, he felt proud of himself every time the Saraji's blue eyes lit up in delight with his perfect execution. Each successfully completed task gave him a sense of accomplishment that he had never felt before. He was good at painting and sketching, of course, but this was different. Much different. He had been looking forward to these lessons since he received the bayahara back in Arang, and he was eager to learn as much as he could from his master.

Earlier that day, the Saraji showed his one-of-a-kind flying ship to Dari, the Grey Hawk. It was only half as big as machayanu and it only had a main and fore mast. It also had a flat-bottomed hull, which rose about five arms from the ground, and a magnificently carved figure of a hawk in flight guarded its bow. The Saraji told Dari that, if Dari continued his quick progress, he would be ready to learn how to fly the Grey Hawk by the end of the next moon.

Dari couldn't have imagined himself doing such wondrous things, but he knew that he still had many things to learn. He was still a long way from being as skilled as Saraji Fernon, and he had to learn quickly if he would like to become a bayasaraharadu himself. Then, there was also the matter of the three other haradesi. He imagined that it would take him his entire lifetime to master all four haradesi. In any case, only the bayahara had manifested in him so he decided to worry about that when the time came. But there was one thing that he had been dreading since that morning by the lake with Alyana. At some point in the process of his apprenticeship, the Saraji would teach him to connect with him through Tarasha. At that point, the Saraji would certainly know that there was something wrong, that Dari wasn't just a bayaharadu. He felt like he was betraying the Saraji by not telling him the truth about himself, but he trusted judgment of the Periji Aron and Menaji Diwa on the matter. The Saraji would know in due time.

"I think we should call it a day, Dari," the Saraji suddenly said as he stood up, bringing Dari back to the present.

"By the Sepalahi, I thank you, Saraji," Dari said as he stood up and bowed to Saraji Fernon's tall figure.

"You are most welcome, Dari. Palasari lagi. It's quite a pleasure to have you as an apprentice. Like I said, you are the most talented bayaharadu I have ever met. You might even surpass my skills if you work hard and practise every day," Saraji Fernon said, his blue eyes gleaming with pride as he smiled at Dari.

"Thank you, Saraji. I will do my best," Dari said, feeling his heart swell. He had never received so much praise from any of his Menaji or Menava back at the Arangi Garpanji. He was a mediocre student, except in painting and sketching, of course.