Chapter 18

/This is it. The last chapter. I think I might cry. What will I lose my mind on during the school week and feeling bad about not uploading? What will make me remember I have too many things going on in my life? Lmao I'm joking, writing this was real fun and I hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did. So I actually may publish an epilogue a week or less after this so y'all won't be pissed at me, but I'll keep you updated. So enjoy the last chapter! Be prepared for tears cause I most likely will cry as I write this./

TW: Mentions of suicide

One. Last. Try. Jared thought to himself. He wanted to be there for whoever he thought needed him. But really, who did? His parents were no shows for most of his life and the only person who seemed as if he gave a fuck about him is completely pissed at him. Jared was done. He wanted to stay, he really did, but there were so many things that pulled him away. But most importantly, the fact that no one seemed to care. Jared thought about it and tried. He made one call. It was almost like jail, one phone call and that's it. A call that left him to choose: life or death?  If he picked up, Jared was forever saved. But if not, he'd know that he wasn't worth it.

Jared called Evan. Ring. Ring. Ring. Ring. Ring. Ring. Hi, it's Evan. Sorry I didn't pick up, you most likely weren't trying to call me, I mean no one does- sorry never mind, just leave a message and I will get back to you! Jared hung up the phone. He got his answer.

Dear Evan Hansen,

Sometimes, I wonder how life would be without me. Do you miss me? Probably not. All I did was make everything harder. And why the fuck did I lie? I shouldn't have even done that. I'm just jealous I guess. I mean I can confess it all here! In a fucking suicide note. I knew that you had a close relationship with Connor and I was pissed, okay? I thought that you would never be able to love me the same and nothing would be the same as it was with Connor. I just wished I told you the truth. Evan Hansen, oh my God, I love you so much. You are the reason I lived. But now that you're gone, nothings left. My parents don't care, I haven't seen them since last year! But that doesn't matter. Nothing ever will I guess.

If I knew about all the beauty in life, things would be different. If I knew about what love really is, things would be different. If I knew about most things in life, things would be different. A lot would be different. I wish everything was different.

Evan, I hope this doesn't hurt you too much because I don't think anyone would be able to handle it if you died. Me? I'm just Jared Kleinman. Nothing too special. But never fear! You'll always have Connor. God why do I even think that you care? You are probably fine with my death. I just hope that you are at least. Please stay safe. I'll miss you.

Sincerely, the boy who loved you,
Me

Jared took his note with him as he grabbed the rope. He carefully folded it in his pocket, making sure it was easily accessible for Evan to find. He knew that he needed to do this.

He walked into his back yard and tied the noose, not caring why he even knew how to do it. "Bye Evan. I'll miss you." Jared whispered through the air. He was about to tie the noose around his neck, that was until someone came running into his house. He was going to be dead, but he did sorta care if anyone stole anything. Jared sighed and was about to walk towards his house until Evan Hansen burst into his backyard.

"Jared?" Evan barely could manage a whisper. "What are you doing? What were you going to do? Jared please, no. Don't do this." Evan was crying now. Jared stood, semi-expressionless, the only thing you could see in his eyes were fear. Fear of what could've came and fear and what he could've done. "Jared, I will always be here for you. Please just never do this. Please. I don't think I could live if you died. You're my everything."

By now, Jared started to sob. He fell into Evan's arms, submissively. "Evan I'm sorry." Jared said between sobs. "I thought no one cared, I thought no would mourn me." Jared's face was stained with tears. He quietly took out his note and handed it to Evan. After all, it was addressed to him.

Evan's face filled with sadness. Is this really what Jared thinks? That I wouldn't care?  "Jared if you died, I don't think I could survive, Jared. You are my everything."

Evan and Jared stayed like that. Evan held on to Jared as he sobbed into his arms. Evan also had tears plastered to his face, but he needed to be there for Jared. They've been though everything together. And they still will. They'll be together until the world ends. Always and forever.

/HA I TRICKED YOU! Okay so I hope you enjoyed! I'll probably write a oneshot book after this. We're also at #8 in Kleinsen! Which is pretty good if you have less than 1,000 reads, but I'm v happy w it. So I hope you enjoyed the story! Let me know if you're interested in a epilogue or not (wow I have to put completed at the end of this now I'm sad) So I honestly thought it was going to take forever to write this but I guess I got real motivated this weekend. Anyways, thank you for reading my story and I hope you enjoyed it!/

-Gabby