Chapter 2

*BELL NOISE*

"Shit," Jared cursed out loud. "Okay, I'll tell you after school, my house okay?" All Evan could do was nod his head in confirmation. Jared pulled Evan out of the closet and back into the classroom before the teacher could mark them as absent. Evan had no clue what just happened. It seemed as if Jared wanted to tell him something, something personal. Evan started to worry. What if he hated me? What if he knows I like him? He'll probably beat me up or something. Maybe I shouldn't g- Evan's thoughts were cut short by his teacher calling the attendance.

"Evan Hansen?" Mrs. Brown asked in her monotone voice.

"H-here?" is all Evan could muster. Mrs. Brown paid no attention to Evan's response and kept moving down the list. Another person on the list of people who don't  care .

*time skip brought to you by my everlasting love for Will Roland*

*BELL NOISE*

Evan waited anxiously at his locker for Jared.  He's mostly stared at his shoes, but frequently glanced around he halls for Jared. His eyes land on someone that makes his heart stop. No. It can't be him. He's dead. I saw the body myself. But Evan still remembered the first time he saw the tall brunette that used to be someone he could count on.

*FLASHBACK WoAH*

"Evan you can't catch me!" the taller boy claimed giggling as he ran into the orchard.

"Are you sure about that? I'm coming pretty close!" the other boy said with excitement. The taller boy, attempting to escape the smaller of the too, started climbing the tallest oak tree in the orchard. "I still see you, Connor! I'm coming!" Evan called out with glee. Evan raced up the tall tree to meet his best friend. "Hi." Evan said blatantly with a huge grin plastered on his face.

Connor grinned back at him. It was almost as if they had their own language. The smile soon fell from Connor's face. "Evan I have to tell you something." Evan was starting to wonder what could trouble his friend so much. "Ev-."

Evan's daydream was cut short by a certain boy that Evan loved and feared at the same time. "Ev are you okay? You look like you're crying." Jared paused. He wanted to help Evan but he didn't know how. So he did the only logical thing  he could think of: change the subject. "Are you ready to come to my place? Maybe we can play video games or watch a movie?"

All Evan could do was nod and just like that they started walking to Jared's car. Evan still couldn't help but wonder why Jared was being so nice to him. Evan was just Evan. He wasn't anyone special, far from it. Why me? Is he just taking pity on me?

Although Evan was thinking of this, his mind wandered back to the tall brunette boy in the hallway who bare a very similar resemblance to the Connor Murphy. The same Connor Murphy that broke Evan's heart the same day that he died.

Jared wanted to help. He knew how depressed Evan had been ever since the day. The same day that no one mentions because they know he'll react. I just hope he's over him, Jared thought as he drove Evan to his house, instantly feeling guilty over those thoughts.

Shit, Evan thought, now we're just sitting in awkward silence. SAY SOMETHING!  "So, um, uh, what was that, um, thing that you wanted to tell me about earlier? I mean you don't have to tell me-" Evan asked, attempting to break the ice between them but he only managed to give himself minor anxiety.

"I'll tell you when I get to my house don't worry." Jared said effortlessly. Evan breathed a mental sigh of relief. He was glad that he didn't have to sit in the silence anymore than he'd have to.

On the other hand, Jared just wanted to be alone with Evan in a private place where they could just talk. Soon enough they were a block away from Jared's house.

"O-okay." Evan managed. There goes that conversation starter.

/updated: 3-24-19
-Gabby