Chapter 11

Trevor's POV
I didn't have any sleep last night. Thanks to my lovely father for it.

I roll over and reach for my phone on the table, and check the time. It's already 6 am, so there's no chance of even trying to go back to sleep. Just when I toss the phone on my bed, it buzzes. A message from Hunter.

You could call him at 4am, and that boy would respond on the first ring.

'Are you awake yet? Or do I have to come and do the honours?'

Instead of typing back, I hit the call button.

"So, you awake." How the hell does he sound so energetic? Maybe because he doesn't have a father like mine.

I rub my eyes. "You're stating the obvious," I reply dryly.

"Hey, look. . . Err, do you know if Leah is coming tonight?" Why the hell is he so worried about her? I can take care of herself. Don't need other damn people to do it.

"Why?"

I hear him sigh. "Just wanted to make sure she stays safe this time," he puts much more emphasis on 'this' than needed.

I've lived with the guilt for almost a year, every cry of Leah a painful reminder of my stupidity. I had to be more careful.  I should've been more careful. But I was too carefree for noticing my Uncle's intentions. I should have guessed it from the filthy look in his eyes.

It's not like I never cared for Leah before, or hadn't been protective of her, but from that day onwards I have been more aware. She means the world to me, and I cannot bare to see even a single tear in her eye.

"She would be safe with me. You should focus on the game," I reply back, suddenly pissed at his words. He never misses the opportunity to rub it in my face.

"I should say the same to you, Hunt. You put her before everything. But this game is important for us. It'll help us in the next years, so don't do anything stupid or pull a stunt. We'll ask Gunner's girl Sydney to stay with her."

And all I see is red now.

"Don't you dare involve any other boy in this! You should feel lucky that I even let her talk to you!" I bolt up in a sitting position.

When it comes to Hunter, I know she's safe with him. And I am well aware of what she feels for him. I've noticed a lot of times that she gets all nervous and red around him. Not that she doesn't blush around me, but she's never ever nervous. When it comes to blushing, you would compliment her shoes and she'd still turn into a tomato.

I hear a doors slamming downstairs, and followed by yelling and shouting. Great. He's awake.

"You'll lose her, Hunt. You've gotta stop with this crazy behaviour, man. Give her space to breathe. You know it wasn't your fault. The men in your family are disgusting. I hope you don't turn out to be one of them."

I hang up before I destroy everything in this room.

I've known this girl for as long as I can remember. I don't think I've been so protective of anyone except for Leah. Not even my sister, even though she's not with us anymore.

I quickly throw on my hoodie, and tame my hair a bit with my hands before walking downstairs.

"So he decides to bless us with his presence!" Father barks at me. My jaw clenches when I notice the redness and puffiness around my mommy's eyes.

The kitchen is a mess. There's milk on the dining table, shattered glass at one corner, and the flowers that I had bought for Mommy are dumped in the sink.

Anger shots right through my veins. My fists curl into a ball, and I am hoping like mad I wouldn't lose my temper. It never ends good.

"What are you doing tonight, huh?" he asks dryly, focusing his attention on me alone. Mommy goes back to cleaning the milk. My heart clenches at her form, the dark circles underneath her eyes, the pale skin, the fake smiles she passes me occasionally.

I may be filthy rich, but we're treated like trash.

"I have a football game tonight." That's enough information for him.

His nods. "Have some breakfast."

"I'm going over at the twins house," I announce, grabbing the car keys from the counter.

As I glance at him once again, I catch him smiling evilly. He sips his tea, and has the nerve to ask, "You still friends with Leah?"

"That's none of your damn business," I mutter, venom thick in my voice, and storm off.
____
I kill off the engine, and unlock my car. Before I walk inside, I grab my clothes, and shoes then jog over to their house.

My prayers get answered when a sleepy Leah opens the door with squinted eyes and messy hair. She looks gorgeous as always in her dark pink pyjamas and baby pink tank top.

"Am I dreaming?" she mutters groggily.

My face breaks into a grin. "Why hello, am I that good looking that it's unreal?"

She groans and wraps her arms around her small frame. "Definitely not a dream. You're for sure tolerable in them." She begins padding inside and I follow behind. I make sure to lock the door.

"So, you dream about me?" I have a stupid smirk on my face that only appears when I'm around this beautiful girl. "Care to give the details?"

She pauses mid staircase, and throws a dirty look over her shoulder. "Trevor, it's seriously way too early for our conversation. We both know we'll end up fighting, so just shut up and let me have my sleep."

I chuckle at her decent words.

I match her pace, swinging an arm around her shoulders and giving a tiny squeeze. "I want you to wear my jersey."

There goes her attention.

"You wish," she mocks, but I can see it in her eyes how much it affected her.

"I do."

"I don't know if I will be coming to the party, Trevor," she whispers, and worries her bottom lip.

I hate how scared she's become now. She has stopped having fun, mainly because of that incident and Bilkees doesn't go to parties either, so I let myself believe there's more to it.

I take her hand in mine. "Do you think I'll let anyone hurt you again?" She shakes her head 'no'. "Then there's no need to worry. I'll stay with you," I promise, then add, "Always."

Tears start pooling at the bottom of her eyes. "But you weren't there that day." Her lips tremble, and I remind myself why I shouldn't just finish off my so called Uncle.

I don't know what to say. I'm afraid I'll say something I really should not, and then she'll be sad. And I can't stand her being emotional and sobbing. It's like a knife to my chest.

"We will go to the party, and if he'll be there, we'll leave right away. Okay?"

She nods. And smiles. I relax.

"I am gonna go take a shower in the guest room," I tell her.

"Everything okay at home?" She knows about my father. Just that he's never in a good mood. I would never tell her the truth because I know that'll take her away from me.

I give a tight nod. "Yeah, the usual. See you in some time." She smiles affectionately at me but I don't give one in return.

I wish this guilt would go away. It's eating me up. Slowly.
___
Team Trevor or Hunter? And who's excited for the game?
Go Wolf Crew!!!!!