Chapter 21

{everything happens for a reason}

Leah
I've finally felt what probably every person feels like when their heart gets broken.

And trust me with this, it's bad.

"Leah, you just cannot stop eating for some—some random dude!" My bestest friend in the world shrieks, throwing the spoon back in the tray of food.

"He is—or was my best friend, my su—"

"YES AND YOUR DAMN SUN! Now eat!" Bilkees shoved a piece of chapatti in my mouth resembling a mother hen who just can't see her child foodless for more than a day.

Hunter chuckled softly, but Bilkees's silent glare made him press his lips together.

"It's fine, really. I don't mind you laughing at my stupid words," I said with a nervous laugh. I played with the corner of the white sheet that was draped up my thighs because at the moment it just seemed. . . fun.

When I looked back at him, his face was washed with pity. . . I hated that expression. Why do people literally have to constantly remind you of the worst things that have taken place in your life? I could never understand that, not even after so many years of my existence.

"Where is he, though?" I asked nervously. I clapped my hands together and played with my fingers because that seemed the most easy thing in my life currently.

"He left three hours ago for UK."

My head instantly whipped In Hunters direction, and I felt almost dizzy. He gave me a pained smile that silently told me how sorry he was and simultaneously promised he would never be back, that last night was the last night and day and afternoon and evening, I wouldn't see Trevor in any of those times.

My eyes stung with the torment that just landed on me. "He's never even been outside his city let alone a Country, Hunter, and you also know that. Why would we go to UK when he never even mentioned of it before in his lifetime?"

Every fibre of my being wanted to just scream and scream and scream so much that all the pain that has just seeped into my heart would tear out like a hungry beast and let me breathe again because I don't think I am breathing. I think I've just fallen in a huge ocean of nothing except for monster clawing at me because just the mere thought of Trevor being so far away beats at my skin.

He sighed, brought his palms to his face and rubbed his face in a tired gesture. The dark circles forming underneath his eyes gave away the fact that he hadn't had any sleep. If it was because of me, which I am positive was, then the reward of being the worst friend ever goes to me.

"We've got a lot of catching up to do, Lee."

Just five minutes ago, I could not wait anymore to hear the truth which was kept away from me, but seeing that guilt and heartbreak in Hunter's eyes only makes me want to curl in a tight ball and cry for eternity.

"I'll be back in a few," Bilkees announced. I nodded my head. She got up and gave me a quick peck on my forehead before walking out.

Hunter took her spot and placed a reassuring hand on mine. He stroked it with his thumb but for some reason I didn't feel like I deserved anyone's comfort right now.

"If you're not ready for the truth, it can wait." I would be never ready, but I was shaking my head in a 'no' and could already feel the heaviness on my chest like I just made the worst mistake of my life by not giving Trevor a chance to explain.

"Tell me, now," I demanded with a broken soul.

He took in a deep breath and began.

"Let me begin from the very first disturbing events that took place in his life, before he even met you." I stared at him, already knowing this would end up bad.

"Trevor was not the only child, Leah." What? He nods at my shocked reaction. "He actually had a little sister, who meant so much to her that he'd even play with her dolls, take her out with his friends when normally teenagers don't, spend his pocket money to buy her every little thing she put her finger on, just to see that happy smile on her face. Her name was Violet, but he used to call her Vee.
She was the most beautiful and sweet girl you'd ever come across in your life. Imagine a perfect 10 year old girl with the most beautiful heart and features ever. Hell, even my twelve year old self had a tiny crush on her." A sad smile took over his lips. "But sometimes being perfect comes with a heavy price.
Trevor was closer to his Uncle than his own Dad. Both twelve year old Trevor and ten year old Vee would spend days at his house. Trevor had such blind faith to his Uncle that he could not even detect anything unusual in Zachary's behaviour towards Violet. He did get a hint something wasn't right when she refused to go over at Zachary's house, and just cry in the presence of men, hell she even stopped talking to me."

I just forgot how to breathe.

"One night, Trevor's dad asked Zachary to stay over at his house to look after both Trev and Vee. That night, he destroyed that ten year old, Leah. He crumbled her life into tiny little pieces. Do you know how cruel that is, to hurt such a naive girl who's not even grown fully?"

He was angry. I was just rendered out of words and breath. And suddenly everything was closing up on me. Hunter, these walls, the hospital. Everything.

"You see, that's not even the worst part, Leah. When Trevor held her sisters trembling form in his arms, that day he became a completely different person. He threatened to tell everyone and even get his Uncle jailed, but this just worsened everything. That night, Zachary shot her in the chest, and Trevor lost the one girl that meant more to him than his own parents."

I broke into a fit of sobs somewhere midway through his speech. This has opened a whole new chapter in my life.

Who was I even to judge Trevor when I knew nothing about his life? The overprotectiveness, the temperament, the sudden flashes of anger, the regret his eyes held, the fear, all that makes sense to me now.

"How do you even know all this?" I croaked in a pathetic tone.

"He was my best friend before he became yours."

And I just lost him.

Why could I never understand how broken he was from the inside? How much he had suffered at such a young age.

I could never forgive myself.
____
I don't have anything to say...