Part 32

I slammed my fist against the elevator that was shut down. Stupid fire alarm. Who knew how long I'd have before that last barrier wore down? My legs felt like jelly and my heart thrashed in my chest as I scanned for another exit. Shouts and complaints echoed through the stairwell once I opened the door. Everyone was evacuating. Maybe I could lose him in the crowd.

No one was really paying any attention to anyone else as they sprinted down the stairs. There were so many floors. I just had to blend in and get out. But after two flights of stairs, I was dragging and several people gawked at me before hurrying away.

Shoot, I'd forgotten about the water-logged towel that hung at my shoulders. It probably wasn't white anymore. That would explain the staring. Damn it. Certainly it would be a beacon to Patrick as well. I had to lose it somewhere.

Moving towards the stair railing, I tugged the now warm towel from around my neck and dumped it over the edge. It plummeted to the bottom of the stairwell with a thump. I'd reached the second-floor landing and weaved my way through the crowd towards the door. I needed to find another stairwell, another exit. Hurrying to the other end of the hall, I spotted signs for an additional stairwell and the valet parking circle.

Nobody was around on this floor. The blaring of the fire alarm didn't echo like I thought it would. The carpet beneath my feet absorbed the noise as much as the thick soundproof walls and doors. It was eerie. I half expected Patrick to pop out of one of the rooms, but with a shake, I banished the thought. Did I really want to wish that evil on myself? But where would I go? He already knew where I lived. I couldn't go back there. Whatever. That was a later me problem and only if I managed to escape first.

I took a few more steps before leaning against the wall for support. I was tired, so tired I wanted to cry. It was a pity all these doors were locked. Perhaps, I could've just crawled into one and laid down on the bed and maybe, I wouldn't wake up. Then I would have nothing to fear from Patrick or Ian or anybody anymore.

Janiel's dying eyes flashed in my mind. She could've escaped, but she insisted we leave together. I was the reason she was dead. I should be dead, not her. Guilt pushed me forward, even as the shock and adrenaline began to wear off. Pain burned across my back, shoulders, and neck. I didn't want to know the damage.

She said, go. So I'd better go.

If vampires existed, maybe ghosts did too. With my luck, Janiel would haunt me if I gave up now and then kick my ass when I died.

Fewer people raced down this stairwell and none of them gave me the time of day. That suited me fine as I carefully held myself up with the handrail and made my way down the last flight of stairs. Someone was nice enough to hold the door open while people hurried past. I nodded at the hotel staff with a grateful smile, but rushed on. The last thing I need was to be seen by an EMT and have to explain where these bite marks came from.

A shriek from the main entrance, followed by shouting and several gasps had me ducking behind a column. As I peered around the cool, marble surface, the crowd had parted around a lone, misshapen figure.

"Come now, darling. I know you're around here somewhere," Patrick's voice rose above the now hushed crowd. "I can smell you."

I glanced at the valet entrance only ten feet away. Maybe he wouldn't recognize me from there.

Careful not to look over at him, I rushed to the door and threw myself against it. It was a heavy door and my exhaustion made it more difficult than it should've been to open, but I managed. The cool night air stung the open wound on my neck and yet, it still soothed me.