Part 6

Ian dropped me off three blocks from the apartment with my bags. It was easier if we weren't seen together since I was so resistant to us being a couple. I was almost certain he was just trying to tease me, though why was beyond me. Couldn't he just wipe everybody else's minds? At least it wasn't raining so that was how I ended up wandering into the building on my own, weighed down by two duffle bags and my entire world crashing down around me. I stood in front of the elevator, standing in languid despair. I just didn't have the strength to take the three flights of stairs today. I needed to be seen so waiting for the elevator was as good as any place to be spotted. He surely had made it in and had gone up already. What if he was waiting at my door? The elevator dinged and the metal doors opened. Slowly, I stepped inside.

A middle-aged woman with brown hair waved at me furiously. "Nicole, please hold it for me."

My eyes focused on the woman and I realized it was Roberta with a few too many grocery bags. Quickly, I pressed the open button so the elevator didn't leave without her. The bags looked a bit full.

"Thank you. I've got ice cream and other cold items I need to get into the freezer as soon as possible. There was an accident on Reynolds Street so it sat out for an extra ten minutes. George is so fussy about ice cream that refreezes. He won't touch it and then I get stuck eating all of it. As if I need any help in that department." She shrugged her shoulder and popped her hip out in what I assumed to be a gesture towards her rather pudgy, pear frame. Once the doors closed and we went up, she finally took note of me. "By the way, what happened this week? Where have you been?What's with the bags? Are you moving?"

I shifted and faced the door, trying to give me time to think up something to say. Could I tell her the truth? But then, she'd tell her husband, George, and they lived right next to him. Were they safer knowing or being ignorant? "I, uh..."

The doors opened on my floor and I saw Ian with a large, black bag on his back, walking down the stairs, cool and quiet as usual. He sure wasn't acting unusual at all. Had I not known the truth and just been convinced to come back, I would've barely noticed him. Okay, I would've noticed him because he was attractive, seemed single, and looked around my age. I'm not a nun. His eyes locked onto mine. Had he heard what she was saying? Was he here to make sure I didn't let the truth slip out?

The doors started closing in front of me, but they paused and reopened.

"Hey, are you okay? This is your floor."

I turned to smile at her. It felt so fake, but then wasn't everything fake now? May as well embrace it or die. "I'm sorry, my grandfather passed away earlier this week and it was completely unexpected so I went home. I wasn't sure how long I'd be able to stay away because of work so I packed an extra bag. Thank you for getting the door. Have a good night."

Once the words left my mouth, I spun on my heels and walked towards my door. I heard the elevator close and continue its trip up as well as Ian's steps keeping pace down the stairs. It looked like he found my lie convincing enough to leave me alone. I let out a breath I hadn't realized that I'd been holding and entered my apartment. Once inside, I immediately locked it and dropped to the floor, tears already sliding down my cheeks. I wasn't in the mood to humor anyone today.

Over the next few days my mood didn't improve at all as I refused to leave the apartment. It was the weekend so I didn't really have to, but I was getting low on food. Not that food was much of a concern because half the time I didn't feel like eating. I'd just realized what time it was and walk to the kitchen, open the fridge, and stare until something sparked. If nothing did, then I just closed it again and went back to my bed. It's hard to think of eating when you're afraid you'll be eaten.