Part 27

I sat there munching as quietly as possible on my tacos. This was not what I expected considering the fact that I'd just been kidnapped from kidnappers. Apparently, warehouses were only used in the movies or when the boss didn't have a personal vendetta against you. Either way, the swanky tasseled curtains and beautiful, dark cherry wooden furniture were a welcome surprise. I didn't have to worry about smelling vomit here except for on me.

Lisa had ushered me from the valet parking up the stairs and straight into the open arms of the HR guy from work. The male voice that held me in Lisa's apartment echoed in my head and clicked into recognition. It was Leo. He was guarding the door to the hotel room, not that we really needed that. This was one of the fanciest hotels in the city, probably thousands of dollars a night. When I'd been thrust into the room, my feet locked up and I had stared dumbly until Lisa guided me over to the table and my dinner. There were six extra throw pillows on the couch. Six!

"Would you like some water, Nicole?" Lisa smiled at me as she stood to the side of the table, watching me while I ate. "Or would you prefer something harder? We can always order up more liquor."

I stared at her even with the food halfway shoved into my mouth, then shook my head. I wondered if she'd remember how much of a pig I was being right now if she ever snapped out of it.

"I'll get you some water then. We have to stay hydrated here. You may have a sports drink later if you'd like though." She walked towards the mini fridge and ducked out of sight.

My back was to the rest of the room. This was the most vulnerable seat I could've had. All I could see was the window and I was positive it wouldn't open for me, especially before someone noticed what I was doing.

After closing my eyes and a deep breath, I stood up and dragged my food to the other side of the table. This way I could keep an eye on the only exit and everyone here, or mostly everyone. The mastermind was missing.

With a quick glance, I sat back down and finished my last taco. "Do you have to watch me eat?"

"Someone always has to be with you until he says otherwise."

"Even if I use the bathroom? Which, by the way, I desperately need to. I feel disgusting, am covered in vomit, and probably stink to high heaven."

"That's true enough," he said with eyes narrowing down on me. "Depends on if you're deemed a threat to yourself or his plan."

Lisa walked back in with the water, paused as she noted my swapped seat, then continued bringing it to me.

They not only weren't staring blankly around awaiting orders, but these two were sharp and well-aware of my lack of enthusiasm for being here. Was Leo even entranced? If I fled, would he kill these two or just send them after me again?

"What's his plan?"

Lisa popped the lid off and offered it to me. "Make sure you drink up. You're going to need it."

My eyes glanced up and noted the sickly pallor of her skin. Ian's murder wall came to mind and I tried to swallow the food back down. Even the chairs and carpet were too nice to get bile and half-digested tacos all over them.

"So I'm going to be dinner," I replied, nodding to myself. My heartrate sky-rocketed, but I attempted to control it with several deep, slow breaths. "It's not like it'll be my first time."

"We know," Leo said flatly, then turned and wandered into a little alcove in this suite. "Do you know of either an Adrianna or Lily that live out of town?"

I barely heard him, but neither name meant anything to me. Were they more victims that I hadn't noticed on that wall? "I can't say."

"Be honest for my sake, please," Lisa pleaded as she sat down next to me. Her small hands clasped mine and held them tightly even though they trembled. "He already has a replacement for me. I don't want to be discarded so soon. I've got plenty of life left in me."