Part 7

On my way home from work Monday night, I stopped at the market and picked up three bags full of onions and heads of garlic. Scratching those off my checklist, I dumped them in my car and drove over to the mall for some clothes shopping.

Honestly that 'pity party' had done me a lot of good. I felt normal being around everyone and I found inspiration for taking control of my life again. How could I forget about the age-old weakness found in garlic? I grabbed onions as well for the strong odor factor. He had mentioned how strong his sense of smell was. I chuckled to myself as I flipped through the clearance rack for sports bras. Once I procured four of the same size and tried them on, I did the same in the bottoms section. Two pairs of shorts and two sets of workout pants later, I glanced through the clearance tops. I didn't need any since I had several oversized t-shirts that I had planned to use, but I froze when my fingers brushed against a black workout tank that read, "Training to Slay Demons."

Unrestrained laughter escaped my lips before I could clamp a hand over them. I doubled over, tears streaming down my face as my shoulders shook in now silent hysterics.

Another customer walked around a rack of clothes to gawk at me.

After a few more attempts at deep breathing, I straightened up, wiped away some tears, and added the shirt to my basket. Maybe, I was losing it. With that finished, I checked off the last few items on my list and headed home. It was nearly seven and I still had dinner to make.

When my alarm went off at six am my brows scrunched together in agitation. I was not a morning person. This was the next step though. The music's volume increased as I ignored it for another ten seconds. It was in this moment that I needed to be brave, to be strong, to adapt. The music got louder again and my teeth clenched together as I set my jaw and threw off the covers off.

"Do it for Grandpa."

~

It had been more than three weeks since I'd started my new diet and workout regimen. I was up begrudgingly at six am every morning to do my at-home workout program and cool-down run before work, then every meal had to incorporate at least half an onion and two cloves of garlic somehow. Sure he was faster and stronger, but I'd never level the playing field if I didn't try. Plus, I was pretty certain that I was excreting onion and garlic juices instead of sweat now, which helped me deal with the fear that he might come storming downstairs in the middle of the night. I hadn't slept this well in a long time.

I had prepared some chicken and rice for my onion-garlic combo tonight and dished up a sizeable portion into a bowl. Taking it to the living room and my comfy Recliner of Refuge, I settled in to play another RPG. Lately, I'd been really into medieval style adventuring and had enjoyed slaying all who opposed me. It was definitely cathartic.

Before I got into my second bite though, there was a knock on the door. I set my food down and walked over to see who was there. Through the peep hole I spotted a brown AC/DC T-shirt that clung nicely to a man's chest. My heart jumped into my throat. It had to be Ian.

"I know you're home, Nicole. Can we talk?" He asked through the door, just loud enough for me to catch it.

I knew it would come to this. I was picking a fight with him so, of course, he'd show up eventually. My heart fluttered and I felt dizzy for a second. This was it. Be brave.

Unlocking the door, but keeping the chain latched, I opened the door about four inches. "Can I help you?"

The ass just couldn't help being disarmingly handsome, his cool blue eyes burrowing into me as they peered through tousled chocolaty bangs. My breath caught for a moment as I took in his relaxed fit jeans and the T-shirt again, but I narrowed my own eyes to glare at him. I would not be distracted.