Part 17

I tried scrambling to my feet, but Ian was quick, grabbing my arm and tugging me back onto the couch.

"It's not what you think."

"Really? Because it's looking pretty, damn bad for you. I was starting to think you were one of the good guys, but stalking a friend's wife? I mean, you have a massive painting of her in your living room. What am I supposed to think?" I pulled against his grip, but his fingers remained like a cuff around my bruised wrist.

"He's no friend of mine anymore. She's dead because of him."

Those words sliced through my not-so-subtle panicking and I looked at him again. He was staring through me, or rather, glaring through me. His lips set in a thin line that curled down on the ends only the tiniest bit.

"He wasn't the marrying type and yet, he felt the need to pick her and try it out."

"If you liked her so much, why didn't you say something first?" I glanced over his shoulder to the painting again. Something wasn't adding up.

"I wasn't in any condition to speak to anyone at the time." His hand squeezed my wrist before releasing it.

I took my arm and held it in my other hand. Shaking my head, I stared him down. "Well, why not? This seems like something pretty damn important to you now. Was it not then?"

"For the first four years of this new life, I fed and killed. Then the next four years, I chose to feed and kill, among other things. So they were lucky I never ran into them. By the time I had regained any sense of my old self, Caroline was long dead and so was I." His glare softened and his eyes wandered to the coffee table next to us.

There were a few wooden statues of animals sitting on top, one less skillfully crafted than the others. It was of a small bird, very simple and very crude.

My eyes widened a smidge as I cautiously glanced back up at him. "Did you love her?"

His chuckle was flat. "Wouldn't you if the person was your fiancé?"

My mouth dropped open a bit. Shock had numbed my brain. "I'm so... sorry. I can't... the words. I just..."

Ian placed a hand on my knee, silencing me instantly. "It's been about forty years. Don't bother."

I stared at his hand, completely lost for words. What could I say? Sorry you were transformed into a monster? It's not like it was my fault.

Then I glanced up at him. "The people on the wall. All of those are related to one person, right? The one who did this to you."

He didn't say anything, but held my gaze and ever so slightly nodded.

"Wait, so am I a potential target?"

"You and a quarter of the city. He's not here right now so don't worry." He gave my leg a quick squeeze before lifting his hand to my chin and flicking it. "You're as safe as you can be with a vampire living above you."

I raised a hand to my ear and leaned into it. "What's that I hear? Complaints from the neighbors about a rogue hiding in our midst? Yeah, that's what I thought. Although, that brings up a good point: what is it you do that gets you whatever you were last night and has you carrying around music cases without instruments?"

"I believe gutted like a fish is an accurate description." He half-smiled as he lowered his hand down to his waist.

I stiffened and grimaced. "Yes, that. Are you a smuggler or something? Are you involved in shady deals with shady people?"