Part 19

My knuckles rapped against the door twice.

Nothing.

Then I whispered, "we need to talk. Let me in."

Several seconds passed, but finally there was the sound of footsteps approaching.

I took a deep breath to clear my mind and prayed the two shots of tequila for courage would kick in faster.

The door opened and Ian stood there, watching me. He sniffed the air and a brow rose questioningly at me.

I guess brushing my teeth hadn't erased the evidence as much as I'd thought. Oh well, my pinky fingers had started to tingle so it would just take a bit longer. "Evening, mind if we have a chat?"

"I'm a little busy right now."

"This won't take long. I promise." I looked up at him and hoped he wouldn't push me away because I probably would pansy out later. Clutching one of my arms, I held it at my side while I spoke. "It's really important to me."

Without another word, he stepped back and let me in.

"Thank you." I said and walked in a few feet before turning to him and the closed door. "I just wanted to thank you for all the help over the last few months. You didn't need to do what you did and while you say it was for your benefit, it was also for mine. I don't think I can properly express my gratitude for everything."

"You came up here just to tell me that?" He cocked his head to the side and leaned against the wall.

"I just wanted to clear the air with you. Make sure we're both on the same page."

His blue eyes were still watching me as he cautiously answered. "Right. Well, considering what you did for me last night I'd say we're about even."

"Are we even enough to call it?" I asked, meeting his gaze and searching for any hint of anger.

He stood there in silence for several minutes while I continued to hold his curious eyes. Neither one of us was willing to break the heavy atmosphere that had settled after my question apparently. My pounding heart felt like it echoed through the room but it was probably only in my head.

"Any reason for this sudden change in attitude?" Ian stood up off of the wall and walked past me to the couch, but he didn't sit down. Instead he picked one of the carved, little, wooden animals.

I tilted my head to watch him admire the trinket like he'd lost interest in our conversation. "I just don't want to still feel indebted to you after we stop hanging out."

His hand stilled for a second, then continued to turn over the creature.

"If you want, I can give you a few pints of blood now and you can keep them as backup in case of emergency, but I just... I need out." I turned to face the meadow painting and piano, thinking about Phil made it easier to excuse myself. He wouldn't want me involved with someone so dangerous.

"So you finally decided to be smart. About damn time. It's a wonder you're still alive with how little you seem to care about your well-being." He didn't look at me, which irritated me. If this was our last conversation, I at least expected him to give me a minute of his attention.

My lips started tingling as I bit my lower lip, anger boiling up in me, but I held it in. "Sure, you can call it that."

"I mean, do you realize how many times I could've killed you? Even now, walking into my apartment inebriated? Are you trying to get yourself killed?"

"I barely feel a thing." I snapped, wrapping my arms protectively around my waist. "I just needed a little extra courage."

He put the creature back down on the coffee table. From the length of the ears, it must've been a rabbit. His attention flicked to the other animals gathered there before him. "Courage to do what?"