Free

Crisp, cool air hits my face as I run through the forest.

I have to make it, I'm almost there.

"Leah, get your butt back here!!!" I hear him holler. He's close. Come on puny legs go faster. I try to sprint even faster, but there are all kinds of rocks and branches jabbing me. I stumble around the forest.

"Finally." I breathe as I reach the waterfall.

"You thought you could get away.. Didn't you?" His voice Is deadly calm. You know the calm before the storm.

I spin and yelp and surprise. I try to take a step back, but he's faster. So much more faster than I.

"I told you, you can never run. Never hide. Never leave me." He whispers in my ear. I remember when that used to send shivers up and down my spine. Now it just gives me a feeling of dread.

"You said I could leave?"

"No, I said you could try."

"That's still permission for me to try to leave. I'm only a few centimeters away from another packs territory." I point out, taking a little step backward. Make that a very carefully placed step. He didn't even notice the shift in my stance.

"You will never get away from me. I own you, remember?"

"You don't own me," I smile, "and this is where you are quite wrong." With that I jump backwards. Falling to the pond below.

I'm free.

Finally.

I'm free.