It Still Hurts

Hailey: 27
Twins age: 13
Jackson's age: 2

Hailey smiled at her son sleeping soundly. It had been a long day, and she just wanted to sleep.

She shut her son's bedroom door and the phone started ringing. It was her father. He always checked up on her during this time.
"Hey dad." Hailey said while picking up toys from the floor.
"Hey, how are you doing?" Dan asked.
"I mean its....its....I miss her." I replied.
"Hailey, that misscarage was not your fault."
"I chose to get pregnant young,"
"Doesnt matter. Hailey that baby lived the best life with you. You're a great mom." Dan said softly.

Tears appeared in Hailey's eyes.
She remembered that day. Her baby's dad was thickening out and that's when she lost her unborn child. She still wondered what would have happened if he stayed. Would this child be standing here today?

"Dad thank you." Hailey said.
"Love you." Dan said.

Hailey was interrupted by a knock on the door. She got up and saw Phil standing there with a bucket of ice cream and a warm smile.
"Papa!" She cried running into his arms.
Phil held her close, wanting to comfort his hurting child.
"I get it sweetie."
"You never lost a kid, have you?" Hailey asked as she let her father in.
"Hailey come we need to talk." Phil said.

They sat down on the couch. Hailey started eating the ice cream from the tub while Phil struggled to find the words to begin.
"Hailey you were our 3rd try. Our first try was in 2016 but we lost it. Dan was a wreck. He thought maybe if he loved it enough it would have made it, so we tried again a couple months later. Our child died because our surrogate had cervical cancer. We lost out kid and it wasn't even our fault. You were our final try. If it didn't work we were going to adopt because we couldn't lose another baby. Dan's depression was getting worse and I was unable to sleep. I remember the call vividly from a surrogate we chose, that she was going to have you. I was so excited it couldn't have been real. Dan was happiest I have ever seen him. That's why he calls you. That's why I came over tonight. We get it."

By now we were both in tears.

"I had no idea." I said softly.
"We kept it from you. And I still miss our unborn children. But each day I see you smiling, being who you are it makes that pain bearable. I bet Jackson does the same for you."

Hailey smiled.
"A lot of people do." She leaned on uis shoulder and closed her eyes.

One day this won't hurt as bad, and God forbid her own son suffered a loss like this..maybe she can comfort him like her father's comforted her...

A/N Hey so its Pregnancy and Infant Loss awareness month, and I have seen the devastation a misscarage, still born or infant death takes on a family. My life has been hectic due to a misscarage someone close to me had and I want to make an update honoring the strength that is needed to make it through it. So I know it may not be something you all can relate to but hopefully you guys still enjoyed this oneshot which wasn't as long but I feel was important to write, and if you can relate to this oneshot, I wish you well and comfort. Have a better day today than you did yesterday and Byez.