Don't Mind Me

I don't think this counts as angst, but it is sad.

Shuichi's POV:

There is no one else in the world that matters more to me than him.

Who am I talking about? My boyfriend Kokichi of course. Well, I guess it's technically former boyfriend now, but it's not like we actually broke up. There was just an... unfortunate incident, and we ended up splitting up for a while. I know it'll only be temporary. He'll come back to me eventually, and then we can be just as happy as before.

I gazed down at the sleeping form of the one I loved most. He looked so peaceful when he slept. It was like when he fell asleep some awful weight fell off his shoulders, something that you didn't really notice until it was gone and you were left the strange sense that this person wasn't the quite the same person you thought you knew.

I knew that peaceful expression would be destroyed if he knew I was here. I imagined what would happen if he opened his eyes and caught sight of me.

At first sleep would cloud his mind. He would look at me with heavy, uncomprehending eyes. Maybe assume that I was a figment of his imagination, or a remnant of some half-remembered dream.

Then he would shake off sleep and realize that I was still there, that a few blinks and eye rubbing wouldn't banish me from sight. A flurry of emotions would fly across his face in an instant. Confusion, then shock, fear, denial.

It would only last a moment though. Then his defenses would snap into place to hide his inner workings just as well as any mask.

Though that would never happen. I couldn't wake him up, didn't want to see the peace, however temporary, leave his face.

I felt kind of creepy standing there to be honest. It was the middle of the night, and there I was, completely in the dark, standing over Kokichi as he slept, just staring at him, and he had no idea I was there. It made me feel like I was a stalker. Which I guess I technically was, since I follow him pretty much everywhere.

I should probably explain what I meant by that. Well, I meant exactly what I said. I follow him all day and watch what he does. I literally don't have a life anymore. I don't go to work or read or anything, just watch Kokichi as he goes about his business. Yeah, it sounds creepy, but I'm sure Kokichi would be fine with it if he knew, after all, I know he loves me just as much as I love him. That makes stalking him okay, right?

Though it's a moot point, since he'll never know.

....

It's morning. Kokichi woke up slowly, reaching his arm out to the side of the bed as he stretched. He froze for a second, then a sorrowful expression took over his face.

Was it me he was reaching for? Does he miss me? The thought shouldn't have made me happy, Kokichi was in pain after all, but it was a relief to see that he really cared. Still, I didn't want Kokichi to join me just yet. I would much rather he live his own life for a while and leave me to watch.

I kept watching as Kokichi went through his morning routine. His movements were off, mechanical, like he couldn't care less about what he was doing, like he was doing everything out of habit rather than putting any true effort into it. I felt sad seeing him like that. He was clearly taking the whole separation thing hard.

I wanted to reveal myself to him. To hold him and tell him he didn't have to be sad anymore. But I didn't.

He never saw me.

....

It seemed like Kokichi had some surprise visitors today. There was a knock on the door. When Kokichi answered it, the faces of Rantaro, Kaede, and Kaito were there. The last was a surprise. Kaito never showed any sign of so much as liking Kokichi before.

The three insisted on getting Kokichi out of the house. They dragged him to the mall, showed him video game stores and bought him panta at the food court. I think they were trying to cheer him up. Kokichi probably figured that out too, so he played the part. He forced a cheerful expression onto his face, but I knew him better than that. He didn't feel any better than he had before, he just didn't want to disappoint everyone. It was so like him, thinking about others even now. For a moment I was filled with painful longing, but I didn't act on it.

I made no move to reveal myself. It would have been pointless anyway.

The group of four moved on, struggling to push through the crowd. Why were there so many people here today? A sale perhaps? Either way, I navigated it without an issue.

....

Eventually, the group bade Kokichi goodbye, and he was alone once again. Well, he wasn't really alone. After all, I was here, he just didn't know it.

I was surprised when Kokichi took a detour instead of heading straight home. He stopped at a flower shop and bought a few lilies. I smiled. Lilies were always my favorite.

After stopping at the flower shop Kokichi took another detour. This time, it was to a graveyard. I continued to follow him.

Kokichi walked like he knew where he was going. He stopped in front of a grave so recently placed no plants had grown over the dirt where the coffin had been buried. Kokichi knelt and placed the lilies before the gravestone. A few tears slid down his cheeks, but he never made a sound.

Curious, I took a closer look at the gravestone. I hadn't really paid it much mind when I was here the first time. I was too preoccupied, for obvious reasons. I read the epitaph.

Shuichi Saihara

Friend, Protector, Beloved

Though his time here was short, the world is just a little darker for his absence.