Kitty

Kitten AU

Shuichi was curled up on the carpet, purring contently. His human, Ryoma, had gone to sleep, leaving Shuichi to his own, though he didn't mind.

Unlike most kittens, Shuichi was rather subdued. He didn't run scratch up the furniture or get into things he shouldn't. Ryoma was much the same, he mostly just petted Shuichi's shiny black fur or scratched him behind his ears. When it comes to a kitten and their human, Shuichi and Ryoma were pretty well matched.

Shuichi was nodding off, his nose tucked behind his tail, when his ears twitched, picking up the sound of little feet.

He stood up and went to investigate. The sound was coming the kitchen. The window by the dining table, where Shuichi could normally see the reflection of his yellow eyes, was open. A breeze flowed through the open frame, causing the curtains to billow.

That's strange. Ryoma must have forgotten to close it.

Shuichi heard another sound. He listened carefully. It seemed to be coming from... just behind him.

Shuichi jumped up and quickly turned, his fur bristling and back arched, a high pitched growl escaping his lips. He found himself looking at another kitten standing beside his food bowl. The kitten had filthy white fur and too big purple eyes. They were very small, a runt probably, and Shuichi could see his ribs poking out clearly.

The kitten bared its teeth in a wild looking smile. "Hey, I'm Kokichi! What's yourrr name?"

"I-I'm Shuichi," the black kitten said hesitantly. He was unsure how to handle the situation.

"Well, Shuichi, don't mind me. I'm just helping myself. Go back to whateverrr you were doing."

"Hey, wait!" Shuichi protested. "You can't do that! That's my food."

"Not anymorrre it isn't." Kokichi looked Shuichi up and down. "Frrrom the look of it, you've got plenty to eat. Give me a break. I haven't had a good meal in foreverrr."

"Why don't you get food from yourrr human?" Shuichi asked, horrified.

"Well, I did, but she didn't taste very good." Kokichi lowered his head into the bowl and crunched on some of Shuichi's cat kibble.

Fear trickled down Shuichi's spine, and he considered whether he would be fast enough to get to Ryoma before the kitten in front of him caught up.

"Nishishi," Kokichi laughed. "I can't believe you actually believed that! I'm just kidding. That was a lie. I'm actually just  a strrray."

"A strrray?" Shuichi tilted his head, curious.

"Yeah, unlike you, I don't have a human. I live on my own. I feel sorry forrr cats like you really. You constantly have to panderrr to your human's whims, and when they decide they don't want you anymorrre they just throw you away. I'm much happierrr living on the streets, being able to do anything I want to do when I want to do it."

"But you said earlierrr that you hadn't eaten in a long time. How can you be happy if you're always starrrving?"

"Because that was anotherrr lie. I'm actually rrreally lonely and miserrrable all the time.

"Rrreally?" Shuichi asked, feeling pity for the unfotunate kitten.

"Nope, that was a lie too." Kokichi laughed. "You rrreally are gullible, arrren't you?"

Shuichi huffed, deciding he was done listening to the little stray. "Go ahead and eat all you want. I'm going back to sleep."

Shuichi thought that would be the end of it, but he was wrong.

After eating all of Shuichi's food, Kokichi decided to explore. He ran all over the place for no apparent reason, and was very noisy doing it. Shuichi wasn't that type to complain, however, so he just watched. He could always catch up on sleep later, so he didn't mind.

Or at least, he didn't mind until Kokichi jumped onto Ryoma's trophy shelf and knocked over his prized crystal tennis trophy, which fell to the floor and shattered.

Shuichi stared in shock. He ran to the pile of clear rubble, being careful not to step on any of the shards. He looked up at Kokichi.

"What have you done?!" Shuichi cried, terrified. There was no way Ryoma wouldn't see his precious trophy in a million pieces on the floor.

"Oops, my bad."

Both kittens perked up and stared in the direction of a new sound. There was a creak as a door opened, and Ryoma walked through, holding a tennis racket like a weapon. Kokichi quickly hid behind another trophy. Shuichi just froze.

Ryoma scanned the room for an intruder, and caught sight of the ruined trophy, Shuichi standing next to it looking guilty and afraid.

He marched up to Shuichi and glared down at him. "You've made quite a mess," he said angrily. "I thought you knew better than this. Am I going to have to start punishing you?"

Shuichi cowered at Ryoma's feet. "I didn't do it! Please don't be mad!" he pleaded. Of course, Ryoma didn't speak cat, so he didn't understand.

Kokichi looked on from the shelf. He felt guilty, after all, he owed Shuichi for letting him stay and eat his food. 

Kokichi decided to help Shuichi. He leaped off the shelf and onto Ryoma's head, digging his claws into the human's black cap. "Run!"

Shuichi looked at him in disbelief. Is he trying to save me?

Ryoma yelled and grabbed Kokichi, throwing him onto the ground, dazing him. Shuichi nudged him with his nose.

"Are, you okay?" Shuichi asked. concerned. "C'mon, you have to go!"

Leaning down, Ryoma tried to grab Kokichi by the ruff on the back of his neck, but Shuichi didn't let him. He stood in front of Kokichi and growled.

Ryoma blinked at the unexpected display of defiance from the normally docile Shuichi. It snapped him out of his anger, and he took a good look at Kokichi for the first time. "Hmph, you look like you've had a hard time of it, little one."

Ryoma shifted his gaze to Shuichi and considered him for a moment. "I guess if you're okay with him, he can stay, but he better not break anything else." His lips lifted into a slight smile. "I didn't like that trophy much anyway."

Ryoma got a broom and dustpan and cleaned up the remnants of the trophy. Then, he got a new bowl of food and set it out for Kokichi. He crouched down and looked at the the white kitten. "I'll leave you alone for now, but tomorrow you're getting a bath. I don't want you spreading any fleas around the house or in Shuichi's fur." He stood up and returned to his room.

Kokichi sat, licking his paw. He glanced at Shuichi out of the corner of his eye. "I guess we're roommates now."

"Are you okay with that?" Shuichi asked. "I thought you liked living on the streets."

"Eh, I like you, so I can stick round for a little while."

Eventually, the two settled down for the night, lying in a purring little kitty pile on the floor.