Birthday

Kokichi stood outside his apartment, watching as firefighters rushed in. He turned to the green alien by his side.

"Shuichi isn't going to be happy when he gets back."

Earlier that day

"Have a good day," Kokichi said, watching his beloved walk out the door. "Save lots of people!"

Shuichi laughed. "Sure thing. Love you."

"Love you too."

The door closed.

Kokichi sighed, a little sad. It was lonely sometimes, having a detective as a boyfriend. Shuichi was almost always at work or working at home, which meant they didn't often get to do anything together.

He plopped himself down on the couch, trying to think of something to do until Shuichi came back. He knew he should just get a job, but the thought of working now that he'd quit Dice made him depressed. It made it seem like the fun part of his life was over. Not that he didn't enjoy being with Shuichi, but it was boring when Shuichi wasn't around. Kokichi had even tried cooking and cleaning to fill the monotony, but that just made him feel like housewife, which was unacceptable.

Aware of the direction his thoughts were going, Kokichi decided to go for a walk. Maybe some fresh air would clear his head. He headed for the front door, and narrowly missed getting hit in the face as it flew open.

Kokichi stumbled back, expecting a robber to rush in. Instead he saw Shuichi's best friend, Kaito, standing in the doorway.

He put a hand over his racing heart. "Holy fuck Kaito, you almost gave me a heart attack!"

Kaito looked down at the short boy. "Oh, uhh, sorry about that," he said civilly. It wasn't a secret that the two didn't like each other, but for Shuichi's sake they tried to avoid all out war from breaking out between them.

Kokichi huffed in annoyance. "Why are you even here this early in the morning?"

"I wanted to drop this off before Shuichi left for work," Kaito said while holding up a gift box. "From the looks of it, I must have missed him."

"Why did you bring a gift?" Kokichi asked, confused.

Kaito raised an eyebrow at him. "You didn't forget, did you?"

"Forget what?"

"Today is Shuichi's birthday."

Kokichi stared at him. "Oh shit."

"How could you forget his birthday?!" Kaito demanded.

"Look, I've been dealing with some personal stuff, okay." Kokichi ran his fingers through his hair. "That doesn't matter now. You need to help me set a party up for him so he doesn't realize I forgot."

"I've already have stuff I gotta to do today," Kaito complained. "Besides, why should I help you?"

"Because Shuichi would be so sad if he learned I forgot his birthday, and you wouldn't want your sidekick to be sad, would you?"

"Ah, fine, but you owe me one," Kaito relented.

Kokichi grinned. "Great! Now go to the store and buy stuff to decorate this place."

"Huh? Why me?" Kaito protested. "What are you gonna be doing?"

"I'm going to bake a cake of course," Kokichi replied.

"Do you even know how to bake a cake?"

"No, but there's a cook book in the kitchen. How hard could it be?"