New Motive

Shuichi and the other were all standing in the gym. It had been two weeks since the game started, and no one had died yet. Shuichi was just starting to relax when Monokuma announced that they would be given a motive to liven things up.

Shuichi looked around the room. Most of his classmates were nervously chatting among themselves. They were all a little on edge, though that was understandable. Who knew what this new motive could be? 

Just when the suspense was becoming intolerable, Monokuma finally showed himself behind the podium. "Good morning everyone! I've called you all here to resolve a terrible problem that has come to my attention."

Suddenly, he abandoned his congenial demeanor for rage as he screamed, "NO ONE HAS DIED YET! I'TS MY JOB TO MAKE THE KILLING GAME INTERESTING, AND YOU ARE NOT COOPERATING."

"Yeah you bastards," Monotaro chimed. "This is a killing game. You're supposed to be killing!"

"More importantly," Monosuke butted in, "No killing makes everything boring, and we can't sell boring."

"I know!" Monokid exclaimed. "I can kill Monodam! It's not like anyone's going to miss him, plus, it's sure to get the audience excited!"

"Oh, please wait until I leave the room to do anything violent," Monophanie pleaded. "I can't stand to see gory things."

"Ahem," Monokuma dragged our attention back to him, looking annoyed. "As I was saying, in order to solve this problem, I'm going to give you a new motive!"

As he spoke, a projector screen came down behind the stage.

"Will the people whose pictures are shown on screen please come up to the stage? By the way, these people were definitely chosen at random."

Shuichi, along with everyone else, looked up at the screen. 

On the screen were pictures of himself, Kokichi, Himiko, and Tsumugi.

Reluctantly, the four of them climbed up to the stage.

"Well, now we're here," Kokichi stated, tucking his arms behind his head. "So~, what is this new motive?"

"Why I'm glad you asked," Momokuma intoned. "As your headmaster at this academy, it is my job to ensure that not only does your school life goes as smoothly as possible, but that you will carry out happy live even after you graduate. So, in order to encourage healthy romantic relationships within the student body, I will reveal who has a crush on the students currently on stage."

Everyone stared at him, mortified. Shuichi heard multiple curses from his friends. He was also certain his face was cherry red.

"Alrighty then, first up is Himiko." Monokuma pointed up at the screen. It displayed a picture of Himiko next to the number one. Under the number was the name Tenko Chabashira.

A loud "Nyeh!" resounded from the stage. Himiko gazed at the screen, looking a little uncomfortable.

"It seems like the spunky Tenko Chabashira is the only one with feelings for the mysterious Himiko. Seems like the one you love isn't very desirable, is she?"

"Shut your mouth you degenerate male bear!" Tenko yelled. "Himiko is amazing and very attractive!" She blushed, realizing what she said, but still turned to address Himiko. "Himiko, hold your head up high and be proud of yourself like I'm proud of you."

"Well, if that's how you feel, then go for it!" Monokuma sneered. "Next up is Tsumugi."

Tsumugi's picture replaced Himiko's. The one had been replaced with a zero.

"Ah, I guess that's not that surprising," Tsumugi sighed, adjusting her glasses. "Who would even notice someone as plain as me?"

"Don't worry Tsumugi," Monokuma assured her, "I'm sure one day you'll meet someone as boring and unremarkable as you, and you can watch anime together or something."

Tsumugi perked up a bit. "Yeah, I'm sure you're right."

Monokuma waved a paw dismissively. "Whatever. Anyway, now it's Shuichi's turn!"

Shuichi peered anxiously at the screen. Though no one but himself knew it, he was very interested in what names would show up. He wanted to know if his crush liked him back.

Shuichi fidgeted as his picture came on screen along side his number... and nearly choked in shock.

F-FIVE?! THERE ARE FIVE OF YOU?!!

He couldn't move, couldn't take his eyes off the screen. How could even one person like someone like him, much less a third of the students here? Who in there right mind would...

It was only then that Shuichi realized that he hadn't checked the list of names.

He quickly ran his eyes down the list.

Kaede Akamatsu

Rantaro Amami

Miu Iruma

Angie Yonaga

Kokichi Ouma

A bolt of giddy exhilaration shot through him. He could almost see the foolish grin that had crept across his face. His euphoria, however, was broken when he realized that war had just been declared down below.

Kaede had puffed out her cheeks and was looking crossly at her four new rivals. Rantaro coldly glared at his competition. Angie, as always, was inscrutable, though Shuichi could see a dark light in her eyes. Miu was sneering. Kokichi smirked mockingly. There was one thing their expressions all had in common, though.

The promise of an excruciating death.

A laugh rang out in the stillness. "Upupupupupup! That's what I like to see!" Monokuma grinned. "But, before you break out the knives and bazookas, we still need to get through one more person."

Shuichi suddenly felt cold as horror flooded him. He had forgotten that Kokichi had been chosen for this motive too. Shuichi knew that what was about to happen would either diffuse the situation or make it a hundred times worse. Either way, he couldn't stop it. All he could do was stand there with a rosy blush emerging across his face.

"Now, one last time, please direct your gazes toward the screen," Monokuma yelled with glee.

Shuichi braced himself.

Kokichi's picture appeared on the screen alongside a number one. The name listed was Shuichi Saihara.

The atmosphere in the room changed immediately. Kaede looked heartbroken. Resignation was written over Rantaro's brow. Angie's face was completely blank. Unlike everyone else, Miu was outraged.

"How can you possibly like a pipsqueak like him when I, the gorgeous Miu Iruma, am totally available?!," she screeched.

Kokichi stared openmouthed at the screen. When he recovered from his surprise, Kokichi jumped at his chance to gloat. He latched onto Shuichi's arm and grinned triumphantly, directing a smug look at the other students.

"Nishishi, it looks like my beloved Shuichi is all mine."

"Ah, how romantic!" Monophanie held her arms together in front of her. "Even in the midst of danger, young love still finds a way to bloom!"

"Ha! I bet there's going to be some dancing tonight!" Monokid announced.

"Ooh, what kind of dancing?" Monotaro questioned. "Ballet? Tap dance?"

Monosuke put a paw to his forehead. "I think he's referring to something closer to the horizontal tango. Y'know, the kind we can't show here because we need to keep things family friendly."

By now, both Shuichi's and Kokichi's faces resembled ripe tomatoes.

"Well then students, now that the motive has been delivered, you are all dismissed." And with that, Monokuma disappeared, leaving them all reeling.

Kokichi peered at Shuichi mischievously.

"So Shuichi, are you doing anything tonight?"