XI. Tegen

Tegen led the other Elementals through the jungles to Earth's temple with a lighter heart than he has had in six years. After his fight with Chief Malum-Ki, Zelenia had healed his cuts, bruises, bloody nose, and cracked ribs—he barely registered the aching bruises on his body.

He had been so scared to take on the chief and even more terrified to deny the Elders; that bravery had to have come from him being the Earth Elemental.

Helian had joined him in the front not long after they left Estys. The young Sun did not say anything at first, but Tegen could tell that he was proud of him by the lightness in his step and cheerful aura.

"There was never a doubt in my mind that you weren't strong, Tegen; all of us could see it," he said quietly. "You just had to realize it yourself."

As the group walked mainly in silence—other than when Pica and Zelenia were chatting away—Tegen replayed what Earth had said to him: You have recovered your strength. Now, come to me and gain your true title. Rely on your strength to power you through.

Earth's voice was low and grumbling, like the shifting of the earth as it ground against each other, and vibrated deep within Tegen's chest. The temple he had been shown resembled nothing like Ibi that provided luxury; Earth's temple was an overgrown and crumbling ruin of dark gray stones—it appeared like it had crawled out of the ground. The structure was bulky, not streamlined and mechanically advanced like Light's temple; because the temple appeared small, Tegen knew its majority lay deep underground, built with the firm earth keeping it intact.

After hours of walking, they finally came to it, looking just as Tegen was shown, even with the same lush vines hanging over the in-set entrance, hidden in shadow. He felt such belonging seeing the sturdy but quiet temple—Ibi had seemed too loud to him with so much movement.

Pica 'oohed' when they stopped to admire it. Tegen tore his eyes off the temple to look around at the faces of the Sun, Moon, and Elementals—all looked focused and ready to begin the trial.

Helian gestured toward the entrance. "After you, Earth."

Tegen took in a deep breath, then headed for the hidden door. The awning was high enough he did not have to duck to go under and the stone door was just as big; he pushed it open and walked down the revealed steps.

Once they all got in, the Sun, Moon, and Elementals waited on the steps for Geryon and Tegen to close the door. Taking the lead again, Tegen led them down the dimly lit steps. The walls surrounding them were made of the same dark gray stone as outside, with grass squeezing in between the blocks; torches set in niches, positioned far from each other, maintained the dim lighting.

They did not descend long before entering a wide and tall chamber. Natural light streaming in through interval slots lit the room. More vines and vegetation grew everywhere, slipping in between bricks or freely draping from the ceiling. Set into the middle of the floor were more steps descending into the darkness.

Looking around, there were no other openings other than the one in the floor. The doorways set in a semi-circle were sealed—they appeared as decoration. Tegen felt a pull on his soul to go down—something down there seemed alive, pulsating with energy.

"I'm guessing that's the way to go," Renuo stated.

Tegen only nodded.

"We're ready when you are, Tegen," Zelenia said.

He did not hesitate walking to the stairs and descending. Once again, the lighting was dim, with torches providing sight; eventually, they had gone far enough to where the natural light behind them in the chamber disappeared. Lighting grew even dimmer then.

It was extremely quiet, other than the scuffling of their shoes on the stairs. The rustic smell of dirt grew stronger as they descended.

"I wonder how far we're to go," Pica said.

"I wonder how deep we are," Helian added in.

"I don't think we're close yet," Kalisa said.

Kalisa was right: they descended for a good while longer. But the long descent ended in a room that could not have existed: so far underground, natural light should not have been lighting the room and there was no running water to sustain the thriving trees. The floor was entirely green grass and a slight hill rose in the middle of the room with a single old tree at the crest. Flowers of every color imaginable and species bloomed everywhere; small birds of beautiful plumage flittered from branch to branch. They had found a secret, mystical garden.

Drawn to the single tree, Tegen headed for it. He stopped before it, admiring the twists and turns of the gnarled tree and how long the roots stretched down the hill. It was an ancient tree.

The tree creaked and groaned as it slowly moved: the bark twisted and leaves shook. It wasn't a violent, angry, sinister movement. He sensed the others taking a step back, but Tegen remained where he was.

A flash of red soared into view just as an older man stepped out of the tree. Hunched over, he leaned on a gnarled wooden staff that resembled the tree. His shoulder-length hair was green and dry, looking like withered leaves; green vines weaved in and around his brown attire. The aged man appeared frail but once his unnaturally bright-green eyes lifted from the ground, strict firmness and determination hit Tegen, but there was also softness within the hard exterior. The scarlet macaw landed on his shoulder.

Tegen dropped down to a bow before Earth.

"I am Erovian, the element of Earth." His low voice echoed in the earthy chamber. "Tegen, I have chosen you to be my Elemental, from looking into your heart and seeing the sturdiness of earth. Will you accept this role and what it demands?"

What was being asked hit him like a boulder rolling down a hill; Erovian showed him the struggles of the past Elementals at being faced with the same decision. Tegen had no hesitancy in his answer—meant for one thing only, he was not giving anything up.

Tegen lifted his head to show Erovian the absolute certainty in his eyes. "Yes."

Earth's eyes softened like rain turning dirt to mud. "You shall represent me well." He waved a hand toward Tegen and, like he had doubled in size, his chest swelled with power. His sense of smell was magnified—strong before, the rustic dirt overpowered everything. Each flower held its own perfume. Erovian was a combination of all the smells. He could identify each person behind him based on their individual scents. Worms burrowed deep within the dirt and dust mites floated in the air.

"Be the one to defeat Fangril." Erovian returned his gaze to the ground, the scarlet macaw launched back into the air to fly out of sight, then he stepped back and merged with the tree again; before long, Earth was gone.

No one said anything for a while. Tegen listened to the flap of bird wings, the buzz of insects, and the inaudible sounds of the earth always in movement under his feet.

"Sooo, there's no test?" Pica asked, breaking the quiet.

A sudden boom snapped Tegen around to see the entrance they just came through sealed off.

"That's not a good sign," Helian said.