IX. Zelenia

Leaving Chrystaline wasn't easy; the others—Pica especially—hated to leave too. It was harder on Zelenia than the others, though, for she had never visited the mainland of Caelestis before. Lewana was her home but as the only child of the Moon living on that island, it was lonely; being around her own people had been nice.

But for the good of Ethea, she had to ignore her longing to stay. Estys was a day away and they couldn't delay out of selfishness.

All of Chrystaline walked with them to the Crystal Forest's edge and bid them good luck as they delved back into it.

Tegen led with Helian beside him; behind them were—surprisingly—Pica and Kalisa, then—another surprise—Aeris and Geryon, and then she and Renuo pulling up the rear. Air and Fire walking side by side, heads angling to the other to speak privately, intrigued Zelenia. Pica struggled with a grin when she looked back and caught sight of them. Her knowing and giddy reactions by quickly looking back ahead had Zelenia suspicious.

Zelenia caught the corner of Pica's eye when she turned to respond to Kalisa beside her. Being in a land of the Moon, it was effortless for her to see into Pica's mind and replay what she had previously seen. She choked on a gasp, seeing Aeris and Geryon kissing.

"You okay?" Renuo asked beside her.

She nodded. "Just had a tickle in my throat."

There had been signs that something would develop between them: the air heating when they were near each other and their insistence on being distant from each other, but whenever their eyes locked, neither could turn away. They were drawn to each other. Zelenia's cheeks flushed at the thought, but it could only be described as sexual tension. She was so happy and relieved they had stopped fighting the inevitable and gave in, especially after their scary clash.

Out of the corner of her eye, Zelenia looked at Renuo—he had his eyes on Kalisa ahead of them. Now it was their turn.

***

They exited the Crystal Forest and entered the sprawling, lush plains of Elemonsina. Walking out of her land into one belonging to the Sun was draining—like her soul shriveling. The loss tempted Zelenia to go running back into Caelestis. How Helian could stand it when they left one of his lands and entered hers?

Pica frowned when they stepped out of the crystalized forest into the sunlight. She looked behind at the enchanting forest as they moved further away.

"I wish we could go back already."

Zelenia smiled at her. "We may yet."

"Good; I hope so." Light turned back around and skipped forward to join Tegen in the lead.

Nothing could keep Pica's mood down. But Zelenia's gut twisted with unease: ever since Cynethan anointed Pica, an awareness was impressed upon her that they would... She shook her head to clear the thought; if Pica hadn't had gotten that same feeling, it wasn't true.

Helian dropped back to walk with her.

"Helian, can I ask you something?" she began.

"Is this about the discomforting thought after Pica became Light...?"

She looked up at him, surprised, and now scared that he had felt it too. Both of them did and Pica didn't? Or any of the other Elementals?

"I don't know what to think about it either." He pulled her into his side like comforting a sister. "We'll figure it out later."

They walked for maybe twenty minutes when a dense jungle lined the horizon; the road they were on ran straight through into the gigantic and overcrowded trees, bushes, and vines. Pica stopped and gaped with her mouth hanging open.