VIII. Pica

Pica woke before anyone else. Even though already a morning person, gaining Light's powers just made her more energetic. Uncle Furs had said there wasn't a way she could possibly be more hyper; he would be surprised.

Her peppy outlook for the new day dimmed when she saw the sleeping form of Aeris. Pica could never have imagined robotic limbs would've been the cause for her to leave her popular career. And those horrifying images Aeris had to have seen in that explosion... Pica shuddered. How could someone be so cruel to turn their back on her for something so painful that had happened to her? Especially something that wasn't her fault. She needed comfort; someone to tell her everything would be alright, stay by her and help her accept it. She had to have felt so alone and hurt.

Light wished she could've met Heela. He sounded like he had the biggest heart ever since he helped bring Aeris back to herself—he had been the support she needed but was refused. Now, Pica understood why she had been so distant after Heela's death. Opening again scared her.

Maybe the celebrity life was truly as tough as she had always heard. It didn't seem to be as glorious as Pica had dreamed it would be...

Because the others stirred, Pica jumped to her feet to claim the bathroom before anyone else could.

***

After breakfast, the Sun, Moon, and Elementals gathered in the lobby to set out for another day of the Storming Plains. Used to the thunder and lightning now, Pica didn't think she would be as jumpy as yesterday.

Aeris, on the other hand, showed the same worry that kept her tense yesterday. The energy shields had proven their strength by protecting them, but Pica had heard talk from other residents that a lightning bolt had struck the inn. She asked Aeris if she had felt it; after Air dropped her eyes to the table, she nodded.

Helian walked up to the door; Zelenia grabbed Aeris' hand. "Ready?"

She released a steadying breath, then gave a nod. "Open the door slowly; I don't want the air hitting me all at once."

Pica already had her arm laced through Aeris' as Helian did as she asked. As soon as the door cracked open, Aeris stiffened and sucked in sharply. The electrified air had to have been painful—even through her metal arm, Pica could feel it tensing—but she remained rooted to the spot.

The door opened all the way, showing a lightning bolt striking a tower, illuminating the dark Storming Plains. At the same time, Pica and Zelenia started walking, tugging Aeris to follow. She did, with only a slight resistance; the others were right behind her.

***

They walked for the rest of the day. The conditions of the Storming Plains didn't improve, but at least it wasn't raining or hailing. Wound as tightly as before and with eyes remaining skyward, Aeris watched each and every strike of lightning. She was terrified of the place, so Pica needed to stay strong for the blonde woman—she held on tightly to Aeris' arm to keep her steady.

It was so odd that Pica had always looked up to her, seeing Aeris as mature, confident, and fearless. Now, Pica provided the pillar of strength the petrified woman had to rely on. She had become Air's help like light encourages and lightens everyone.

Like yesterday, Pica, Aeris, and Zelenia stood behind the others as they dealt with Fangril demons. Pica helped more than before, though. She stepped away from Aeris once when the Elementals were having trouble with two of the giant, metallic creatures to send a blast of pure light into one of them—with a burned hole in its chest, the demon dissolved into smoke before it hit the ground. The Elementals finished the last one in no time.