Order of the Phoenix | Year 1 Part 1

"She was on her own."

(y/n) (y/l), the only child of (m/n) and (f/n)(l/n). She was a bright, clever thing, just like her father. Her brain was strong, factual, composed, a trait given by her mother. She was a pureblood, although this never came up in conversation, for she hadn't thought much of it. In America, wizards rarely focus on surnames and political power, for so many of the wizards were half bloods or muggle born. This was also true of the (l/n) family, who taught their daughter to not judge one on their social status, but on the kindles they show to others, something (y/n) took to heart.

The family lived in a large ranch, set deep into the woods far off the beaten path. The smell of eastern hemlocks flooded the home in Autumn, and dew stuck to its windows in the spring. These were the things (y/n) missed the most when she left for Ilvermony each September, and then in the winter after Christmas.

(Y/n) loved her school, especially her house, Thunderbird. When she was eleven, she stood center in the large room, her elders looking down upon her from the balcony. She stood waiting for any of the four wooden figures to come alive, calling her to her new family. She could still remember the roar of cheers she got when she joined Thunderbird, "the souls of the wizard".

Today, however, she was not residing her her house common room, or her dormitory. She was back in her cozy home, her parents scurrying around someplace. Her trunk lay open in her pale blue bedroom, ready to packed. It was nearly full already, although a few touches needed to be placed. (Y/n) reached deep inside it, pulling out a long, gold and blue scarf. She held it to her chest, feeling the tight knitted fabric between her fingers. She looked at it, the small "Thunderbird" patch at the bottom, thinking about all the things she should miss over the years she will be away. Would her friends remember her, or will she remain the girl who left for London forever? It didn't matter now though, she was leaving and that was that. (y/n)'s mother was Welsh, meeting her father while studying in New York after graduating from Hogwarts. Now, she worked in the Department of International Magic within The Magical Congress of the United States of America, holding a fairly high position. This is the reason in which the (l/n)'s are leaving for England. (M/n) had been given a promotion, to work for the Ministry of Magic as a representative for North America. (Y/n) was aware of such jobs, although she never expected her mother to receive it.

In the mist of the arguments between (y/n) and her mother, she had lost, and she was made to attend Hogwarts, not Ilvermony the following year. Even though (y/n) was happy she would be close enough to spend the holidays with her family and send them owls whenever she pleased, it still hurt her to leave her school, somewhere she cherished. The day she had gotten accepted, her father nearly cried tears of joy. He of course hoped she would be sorted into Wampus, the house he was in when he attended, but was still exited to know she was in the famous "Thunderbird".

After setting a few picture frames neatly onto of her clothes, she closed the trunk and clicked its brass lock. She put her scarf and old robe into her large wooden dresser and sighed, thinking of her old common room. Her name was called by her mother, and she went to the kitchen where she found her over a pot of boiling water. She stepped away, although the wooden spoon inside kept stirring.

"What are you making?" (y/n) asked, curiously.

"Pasta." She said simply, flashing her a motherly grin. (y/n) sat at the table opposite her, placing her chin in her palm. "Whats wrong?" A look of concern spread across her face, knowing the answer to the question.

"I'll miss this, thats all." (Y/n) looked around the room, taking in the sights. It may be the last time she ever sees it.

"Oh, you know you'll like England just as much." She said in her half-American accent.

"I know, but I can still miss it, you know." Her tone was shallow, dry of emotion. Her mother did not answer, she just turned around and tended to the pot.

LATER THAT DAY

The darkness of night began to drop upon the horizon. The grandfather clock next to the front door read 6:35, telling the family it was time to leave. (Y/n) looked around the house just once more, running her fingers along ever edge and crevasse. She stood beside the big wooden arch, looking at the small black dashes made all up the sides, marked with dates.

"They'll paint over it." (Y/n) said quietly to herself. A voice behind her made her jump.

"Yes," (Y/n) turned around quickly, her mother stood, holding a small green travel bag. "but then, someone else's child will stand against it and have their height tacked."

"You nearly gave me a heart attack."

"Im sorry." She said with a chuckle. She walked over, placing and hand on her shoulder. She pulled her daughter into a hug. (Y/n) let out a few, muffled sobs before stepping away and out the large red door.

The car was already packed with (y/n)s school items and personal belongings, ready to be flown away to England. (Y/n) stepped into the enchanted car, and her mother and father came soon after. They first traveled down the path through the woods until they came to a long, winding road. The family drive about a quarter mile until they hit a small straight patch, which is when they picked up speed and took off into the air, as per usual. It wasn't long until (y/n) had fallen asleep, and woke up in New York City, were the family would refuel the car.

The long jury overseas went by quicker than (y/n) had anticipated, only taking them into the next morning. She had nothing to compare it to because the farthest she's been from home was the Caribbean Islands, which she took a ship. They parked in a crowded train station lot and wheeled her things to the platform.

"Just like when I was young." (M/n) sighed, reminiscing in her days as a student. "Right there, platform 9 3/4, in the middle of 9 and 10. She pointed to a brick wall without a platform sign. (Y/n) looked to both her parents, who grinned widely at her.

"Its just like Ilvermorny, board the train and pick a compartment." Her father said, leaning into her ear.

She took two deep breaths, watching a few other family's say goodbye to their children and run through the brick.

"So just run straight through?" (Y/n) asked.

"Yep, right through." Her mother answers.

Again (y/n) took and breath, slowly walking to the wall. She began to pick up pace and run. She didn't close her eyes, but stared the wall down like a full seeing red. Then, she was through. Her parents were no longer standing behind her. She was on her own.