|| Chapter 34 ||

[Edited]

----------------------------------------------------

"Looks like you're finally done bawling your eyes out.~" Who else could it be if not Catherine Fletcher who maliciously chuckled. The red haired female stood not too far away from your group of now only four, but the real question was why she was here in the first place, and how she had even gotten to this point.

"Catherine? What are you doing here?" Aaron who had barely recuperated from his prior shock asked, his surprise audible in the tone of his voice. The male had one arm wrapped around you since you were still helping him to support himself when he stood. You as well didn't understand why the royal advisor was here, but you were sure she didn't come just to pay you all a visit.

"I came to pay you all a visit.~ But it seems like I just missed Doni, huh?" The red-head hummed, everyone tensing up at the mention of the blond's name. How dare she speak of him that way when she clearly seemed to have witnessed what just happened to him. Everyone seemed to have wanted to tell her off for that utterly disrespectful act, but no one had the spirit to do so.

"So it really was you... I must say you're quite the pitiful person." Rouen said, furrowing his brows a bit. He remembered what Loraine had said about the royal advisor, all her suspicions and possible theories, and was now sure that Catherine was the culprit everyone had been searching for.

"Oh that? So you and blondie were the only ones who knew.~ Speaking of, Loraine wanted me to greet you all in her name.~" Catherine contiuned, playing with a few of her red curls. You frowned at the mention of the rich girl and instinctively reacted: "What do you mean by that? Did you do something to her?!"

"My beloved Y/N.~ I've disliked you ever since the first moment I saw you, but posing stupid questions like that? Isn't my answer obvious?~" The royal advisor let go of the strand of hair she was playing with and smirked while making direct eye contact with you. "I didn't do anything to her, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that she's unharmed."

"What are you talking about, Catherine?! Why are you even here?! Don't you know it's dangerous?!" Aaron exclaimed, raising his voice slightly. Blinded by fear caused by having lost his closest friend and by the fact that he had considered Catherine to be a close childhood friend of his, the dark blue haired knight failed to see the truth right away. It was just a matter of moments before he would realise it too. The red-head seemed to be doing you all a favour for once by taking it upon herself to explain everything: "Oh Aaron... I tried to protect you from this, but you didn't want to listen to me..."

"Instead you chose that tramp over me." Catherine added, her expression becoming sour the moment she pointed her index finger at you. But she decided to leave her emotions for later and fill you four in on just what you had gotten yourselves into. "I congratulate you on having made it this far, but this is where your little trip to nowhere ends."

Given how Catherine sharpened her tone at the end of her threat, you couldn't help but get into a more suitable position for the situation. "Since none of you are getting out of here alive anyway, I might as well share a few things with you." The royal advisor hummed, walking around a little while still keeping the same safe distance between you all and herself. "Just as Mr. Eyepatch already implied, the series of the last few occurrences weren't coincidental. They were all planned by yours truly.~"

"Your beloved queen Rin is in perfect health, and even if she weren't, a mysterious crystal located in the interior of the tree of beginning? Come on, shouldn't you know better?~" Catherine laughed, making you flinch because you were all aware that what she said was partly true. You weren't too surprised to hear that queen Rin was actually doing fine, but it was still a low thing to do. And all of it just to get you here. "Then again, that just shows how blindly you follow orders without questions. What a canine way of living."