28

"you can't tell the nurse about the necklace, okay?" jaemin told me as he swept my hair to the side and latched the small chain around my neck. it tickled my skin as it fell in place. i nodded, promising him i wouldn't.

it was the next morning, and we were all about to go and have breakfast together. last night was the third night in a row that i hadn't had a nightmare because of the necklace.

he turned me around to look at him and for a second, i don't know why, but i felt very nervous. i fixed my hair, trying to avoid direct eye contact.

"god, why don't you two just kiss already?" haechan mumbled, making me snap my head in his direction.

"what?" i knew he was only joking, but why was i blushing?

"haechan, shut up." jaemin groaned, shooting the other boy a glare. haechan laughed in response.

"well, anyway.." i started, clearing my throat. "we should get going."

at that, the three of us left the hospital and stepped out into the chilly saturday morning with the intention of enjoying a nice breakfast together.

at least, that's what i thought.

i was expecting haechan to take us to some cute café for a cup of coffee and a bagel or something, but no. we ended up at mcdonald's.

and then i remembered why we never let haechan pick the restaurant.

"c'mon, they're having a 2 for 1 sausage biscuit deal." haechan whined when we protested, and jaemin and i ultimately decided to just give in.

which i didn't regret, because we actually ended up having a very enjoyable time with our greasy sausage biscuits and hash browns.

"so, i know we've talked about it many times before, but what do you think even causes the nightmares in the first place?" jaemin suddenly asked once it got quiet. i shrugged, genuinely not knowing how to answer.

"they just.. started. the first one was about a bunch of killer clowns, and i thought it was just a normal nightmare, but then they continued. and they wouldn't stop. i really don't know, it's so weird."

"maybe you got a spell put on you. or a curse or whatever." haechan suggested, his eyes suddenly wide with curiosity.

"don't be silly," i laughed, finishing off my biscuit. "that's not possible."

"well, keep the necklace on, okay?" said jaemin. i nodded.

"promise?"

"promise."

he stuck his pinky finger out, and i wrapped mine around it.

"now... kiss." haechan joked once again, but, once again, he was the only one who found it funny.

"oh, c'mon! this is like some cheesy fanfiction or something. you both have feelings for each other, i can tell." his words were very straight forward, like normal, and jaemin's cheeks were the color of a fire truck. (whoop whoop whoop whoop)

i don't have feelings for jaemin... do i? he doesn't have feelings for me, does he? why would haechan pick up on something like that. we're best friends, nothing more.

"we're friends." jaemin said, and i could tell he only spoke so i wouldn't have to.

but later that afternoon, when the boys dropped me off at the hospital, i started to wonder whether or not i really did have feelings for my childhood best friend.