12

no one even had to ask how last night went. the look on my face said it all.

as i threw my dumb plastic tray down on the table and plopped down next to jaemin, he just gave me a worried look.

last night was my first night at the sleep center, and let's just say, i had one of the worst nightmares i'd ever had. i don't even remember what it was. all i remember is waking up with tears streaming down my face as my body shook. suddenly, a nurse was bursting through the door asking me all different types of questions.

i couldn't go back to sleep after that, so i just got ready for school and waited a few hours for mom to come get me.

technically i'm old enough to drive, but i'm not very good at it.

anyway, i kept my eyes on my food.

everyone was relatively quiet, aside from some small talk. i didn't talk much.

jaemin nudged me with his elbow, and i looked to my side to see him looking down at me, a worried expression still gracing his features. "are you okay?" he mouthed, while the others talked amongst themselves.

i shrugged. i didn't feel like explaining.

"so, you're not liking it so much at the sleep center, i'm guessing?"

he looked right at me as he spoke, and i swear he knew me better than i knew me. there was no point in lying to him.

"no." i simply answered, setting my fork down. i couldn't eat anymore of this junk.

"am i allowed to come visit you?"

it surprised me that he asked that. "yeah. anyone's allowed to see me before 10, unless they're spending the night."

"wait, really? so we could have a sleepover?" his demeanor suddenly changed, and he had a child-like excitement radiating from him. i could tell he was trying to make me smile, so i cracked a laugh for his satisfaction.

"yeah. anytime you want."