Chapter 5 - Sang

Here's the next chapter as promised. Thanks to everyone who voted for who Sang would meet first! I had no clue who to choose, there's just so many of them! ;)
Enjoy!

I wake up surprised that I didn't have any nightmares. I guess I was too exhausted. Looking out of the tiny window at the position of the sun, I noticed a few hours have past, and it's time to make lunch.

When I finally get the pain under control, I head back downstairs to the kitchen. I eat a pepper because I haven't eaten today and head too the dining room. The mess from breakfast is still on the table, so I get to work cleaning.

Just as I'm starting lunch, I feel lightheaded and woozy. I grab the shelf in front of me when I start to fall. Gasping, I slide to the floor and darkness takes over...

~~~~~~

Three images flash through my head.

The first image is a cloaked figure on horseback riding away from me.

Second, I see a crossbow being loaded.

The last image I see is death.

~~~~~~

My eyes snap open. I suck in a breath of air, wondering what I just saw. I must have passed out from the pain, and had a nightmare. So much for not having any nightmares last time. Blowing out a sigh I get up to finish lunch.

I'm just setting everything on the table when I hear mother coming down the stairs. I get everything on the table and rush out the back door. I'll hide in the barn till they finish.

Bell is sleeping so I creep past silently and sit on a pile of hay. My mind wonders back to the nightmare I had in the kitchen. I've never had one like that. The images flash through my head and a sick feeling makes me clutch my stomach. I tuck my head between my legs, and focus on breathing. In. Out. In. Out. The nausea passes and I'm left exhausted.

"Sang! Get in here and clean! I know you can here me!" The whole kingdom can probably hear you! I want to shout at her, but I bite my tongue and head in. She's gone by the time I reach the dining room. I notice they didn't eat some tomato slices and quickly snatch them up. Might as well not let them go to waste. I get everything cleaned up and scrubbed down when I finish eating.

I notice the basket from yesterday is still gone, and the memories of Wil and Mr. Goatee come into focus in my mind. I'm going to need the basket back before mother notices it's gone. I don't even want to imagine what the punishment would be if she found out what happened. If she knew that boys talked to me...

I shake the thought away. I can't let her find out. I grab my cloak and cautiously step into the forest. I hide behind trees and bushes, listening to every rustle in the forest. I hear little animals scampering across the forest floor, and birds singing happy songs high in the trees. I finally get to the spot where I ran from the boys. I don't see any one around, but I sneak around the perimeter of the clearing till I'm certain they're gone.

Stepping into the clearing, I keep my eyes moving as I walk to the blueberry bush. I stop when I see my basket sitting right side up full of blueberries and a note sitting on top. I bite my lip contemplating whether I should read it then get rid of it or just get rid of it. Either way I can't let mother see it. Curiosity gets the better of me, I sit by the basket and grab the note.

Dear girl from the woods,
Sorry if I scared you. I picked up the blueberries for you. I should have stayed away, but your beautiful voice drew me in. I wish I had been able to keep Greg away, but I should warn you now that he's seen you, you won't be safe. Take your basket and stay indoors. If you see him, turn the other way and run.
I'm sorry,
Wil

Well, shoot.

I just can't get a break. I look at the basket of berries and decide to throw them out. I know not to trust boys. Mother made it clear what they will do to me. I can't take the chance that they put some kind of drug or something on them. I tear the note to bits, and bury it under the blueberry bush. Standing up, I check the area to make sure all the evidence is hidden. I search the clearing making sure no one crept up on me while I was sitting there. Seeing that it's all clear, I head back home.

Halfway there I'm struck with all consuming panic. I need to get somewhere fast. My breathing comes in quick gasps. The images from my nightmare flash through my mind, and with out thinking I'm running. Running faster than I thought possible. I don't know where I'm going, but I need to get there.

STOP! Quiet!

My whole body freezes. I peer forward, and just through the trees I see Mr. Goatee. (I guess his name is Greg if I believe that letter.) In his hand is the crossbow. Just like in my nightmare, he's loading it, getting ready to aim at something I can't see from my spot. On silent feet I sneak forward enough to see the cloaked figure climbing onto their horse.

I'm starting to think that it was more than a nightmare.

Greg lifts the weapon, and aims it directly at the cloaked figure. "NO!" The word feels like it's ripped from my throat. I'm jumping on Greg's back before I realize what I'm doing. I hear the crossbow hit the ground, as I start yanking his hair. Greg let's out a shout and falls backwards. He's going to crush me! I try to let go and get away but he grabs my legs wrapping them around him keeping me locked to him.

This is it I'm going to die. I stop fighting and just wait for the inevitable. My eyes are squeezed closed and my arms are squeezing the life out of Greg's neck. I don't even realize his hold on my legs loosens when he passes out. Suddenly Greg is falling the opposite direction, and strong arms are lifting me away from him.

"Are you alright, Sugar?" His voice is gentle, like he's trying not to scare me, but I know better. Mother's told me they'll try to trick you, they'll pretend to be nice, but all they want is to hurt you. I keep my eyes squeezed shut pretending like I can't hear him, and try to get out of his grasp. He immediately let's me go. Confusion clouds my mind. That's not right. They don't let you go once they have you. I peek my right eye open, and my left eye opens before I can stop it. It must have been jealous of the right because this man in front of me could easily be the most handsome in the whole kingdom. Hiding under the cloak I see chocolate brown eyes, long blond hair, and joy radiating from... well him. A grin spreads across his face, and I'm sure my jaw drops. "Speechless. Don't worry that happens a lot. My name is Lucian Taylor, but everyone calls me Luke. What's your name, sugar?"

I think my lungs have stopped working.

Air should definitely be going in and out.

Why isn't there any air!?

Maybe I did die, and now I can't have air!

No, that doesn't make sense...

Darkness clouds my vision, and for the second time that day I pass out.