Chapter 2 - Sang

Hey everyone! I hope your enjoying this fanfic so far. Remember to comment and let me know what you like and what you don't like. If something isn't right (like if you don't think a character would act a certain way) just let me know, I'll try to change it.

Darkness was all I could see whether my eyes were open or not. I could hear muffled noises coming from outside the cage I'm trapped in. The chains on my wrists feel like ice in the freezing night air, and they burn my wrists like they're on fire. I hear something making its way closer the my cage but the blindfold keeps me in the darkness. Whoever or whatever is just a foot away, I feel the air shift as they reach out to touch me. Terror feels my entire body, I'm frozen. The hand is centimeters from my face...

I wake up gasping for air. Thankful I woke before they touched me. Anger and sadness fill my green my with tears. "Thank you mother for these terrible dreams." I say quietly into to early morning. My mother started telling me stories of men capturing ladies and doing unspeakable things to them, when I was just six years old. I know she is just trying to make me aware of the dangers in the world, but when the nightmares started a week later, I couldn't bring myself to be thankful for her warnings.

I brush aside my thoughts and look out the small window in the attic. The sun had not started to rise yet, but I knew I would not be able to go back to sleep. I get up and stretch my sore muscles, wincing at the pain in my thighs. I had scrubbed all the floors the night before, but forgot to take the laundry out. So I ended up on the stool for a few hours before I could go to bed. I sigh, letting the pain fade to the back of my mind, while I dress in my simple grey dress. It's one of the the only three dresses I own, they are old dresses from my sister, Marie. I had to hem them myself to make them fit, but they work for me. I'm not trying to impress anyone.

I go down one flight of stairs and grab the laundry from mother and Marie's rooms before they wake. Then I go down the next flight of stairs and make my way to the kitchen. I place the laundry in the bucket to soak, while I grab the apple that I picked for breakfast, yesterday. I finish eating quickly, and start scrubbing the clothes. Once I'm done I hang them up to dry in the backyard.

The sun is just starting to rise over the mountain where the royal family lives. This is my favorite view of the castle. It's always beautiful but the sun behind the castle makes it glow like a beacon, calling me to it. But like every morning the sun continues to rise and the affect is gone, and I continue doing my chores.

I grab a basket and head to the garden to see if anything is ready to harvest. I pick some tomatoes, peppers, and herbs. Then I make my way to the chicken coop to get the eggs for mother and Marie's breakfast. With my haul in my basket, I head into the house to start on their breakfast.

I scramble eggs with chopped peppers, and set the table for two. I know I can't eat at the table or it makes mother stressed, and her illness takes over, which means I'll be punished. I cover the eggs and peppers, I leave them in the center of the table while I get the milk. Grabbing the milk pail, I walk to the small barn where we have one cow (Bell, who's mostly white except a black spot that looks like a bell.), and two horses (Thyme, who's all black; and Cocoa, who's brown and white.)

The horses are for mother and Marie of course. I have no reason to own one, that would mean I have somewhere to go, and I don't leave the house. Mother's stories make me glad she wants me to stay here. If I left terrible things would happen to me.

Shaking off my thoughts, I head over to Bell. "Hey pretty girl. How are you this beautiful morning?" Bell lifts her head in my direction, and I swear she smiles. I smile back and pull the short stool over to her side. Before I sit, I run my hand down her side a few times. I know from experience that if you don't show her some love, she won't give you any milk. She's crazy like that, but hey it not my milk, she can be picky with who gets some. Finally, I sit down, the pain trying to flare up again but I push it back. I position the pail under her udders and get to work. About fifteen minutes later the pail is half full so I stop, and give Bell another rub down before I grab the pail and head back to the house.

I pour the fresh milk into a pitcher, and set it on the table with breakfast. I hear shuffling from upstairs as Marie wakes up. She usually get down here first and mother follows after a few minutes. I grab another basket, and run out of the house, knowing mother will want me gone till they are finished eating.

I make my way into the forest to see if I could find some fruit trees or berry bushes. Thinking, maybe I could make something for dessert.

Taking a deep breath of fresh air, I start humming made-up songs that pop in my head about the colorful flowers, the bright blue sky, and the animals scampering across my path. Lightness fills my chest, happiness bubbling to the surface. Soon I'm singing out loud, and skipping around the trees. I come across blueberry bushes, and start picking them while I sing.

"You have a lovely voice."

Update: Edited