The Mysterious Hero: Chapter 33

Start from the beginning

"I'm the one that should be sorry," I said, blinking back my tears. "Adam, these past few weeks I was being stalked. I was even sent notes from my stalker," I admitted, feeling guilty. "I didn't want to tell you, and I should have, but I didn't."

His eyes grew wide. "Why didn't tell me you were being stalked? That's serious. You don't keep things like that to yourself!" he yelled, standing tall on his feet. "So you've been hiding something from me all along? My sister was being stalked by an insane man, and I didn't even know!" he roared, his face turning beet-red. "You were in danger and I couldn't even protect you!" Adam took in a deep breath and walked to the end of my bed. He ran a hand through his hair and sighed out loud in frustration. "You didn't feel comfortable telling me you had a stalker? So basically you don't trust me, and I'm your brother."

Pulling at the bed sheets, I gulped. "I'm sorry." I closed my eyes and looked down. "I-I didn't want to worry you." I looked back up, chewing on my tongue. His last words had me tongue-tied. I did trust my brother, but trying to tell him I was being followed was difficult. I couldn't come out with the words and say someone was following me. I just couldn't. However, if I did tell Adam I had a stalker, would he have been safe either way? What if Adam had tried to find my stalker and something bad happened to him? I just wanted Adam to be safe. "I didn't want to put you in danger!" I cried, gesturing towards him with a hand. "Look at you! Y-You're broken! And it's because of me!"

He let out a deep breath and walked to the edge of my bed. "I'm the oldest and I'm supposed to worry about you," he spoke. "And you didn't do this to me, that guy did. I refuse to say his name."

"Blaine the Bastard.?" I suggested, trying to lighten the mood. Adam didn't even let out a laugh or smile. "Adam..."

"Lila, I'm the one that's supposed to worry about you." A sincere look crossed his face. "And it's because I love you."

I sighed and a glare broke onto my face. "Adam, if you do love me, why didn't you tell me that Dad was murdered?" I asked harshly, gritting my teeth.

My heart actually clenched, tightening in my chest, because I was the one responsible for my parent's deaths. They died because of me. I was the one that was wanted, yet they were killed.

"Listen to me," Adam commanded, lifting my chin up to look at him, "I didn't tell you because," he paused and took in a deep breath, "Dad was murdered when I was seventeen." His hand dropped from my chin. Adam's voice grew small. When Adam didn't say anything else, I had to ask him why that was important. "It's because I couldn't handle Dad's murder. I just wished that I didn't know, so that I didn't have to face it. I couldn't believe that someone killed our dad. I went into depression," he admitted. My eyes widened. I hadn't known that my brother was in depression when I was eight years old. "And, Lila, you're seventeen."

Understanding dawned on my face. "You couldn't handle knowing what happened to Dad when you were seventeen, and you didn't think I could handle it, either," I stated. My brother had only been thinking of my well-being. He and Mom hid this piece of information from me for a reason. I was too young to understand my father being murdered, and Adam just didn't want me to go through what he did when he was seventeen.

Adam meekly nodded his head. I extended my arms out for a hug and he immediately complied. I breathed in his scent, pushing my face to his chest. Tears streamed down my cheek, wetting Adam's clean shirt. Adam cared so much for me.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you," he apologized, kissing my temple. His eyes were actually wet, just like mine. "I'm just sorry."

I clung onto his arm. "Don't be sorry. I understand." Even though I had been kept in the dark about my dad's death for nine years, the anger faded away from my heart. Adam had a reason for hiding it from me, and it was a very sensible reason.